Q: generic host process for win32 process?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jackflush

I have trend micro protecting win xp. This generic host process is trying to connect out or in, i dont know but if i tighten the firewall up, and ask Trend micro to warn me about all connections, that generic process goes at it like 14 times. Ive tried to look up for myself, but i haven't find info.
My questions are
what are these process'?
can i find out why it wants to connect to the internet?
Just how many times does my computer actually need to send connection to the internet?
Much thanks for this shared knowledge...

I found this info on several support sites posted by manufacturers of software firewalls:
++++++++++++
Q: What is a generic host process for Windows and should I block it by default?
A: Definitions

Here are the definitions of some words that will be used in this question. These are not the only definitions of these words, but these are the definitions as they will be used here.

Host: This is another name for the computer itself.
Process: This is a program running on your computer.
Service: This is a program that runs invisibly in the background. The main difference between a service and an ordinary application is that a service will load and start running whether or not you log into Windows

=======

B: Answer to the question above
A generic host process is a name that Windows gives to many different services running on the computer that don't have any other name. An example of a generic host process is svchost.exe. Should you block a generic host process?

Typically svchost or any of the other generic host processes should be permited, at least temporarily.

Please be aware that some viruses and/or Trojans can infect or replace svchost.exe, so svchost.exe then becomes a virus. However, any modern antivirus software can detect when svchost.exe (or any other generic host process) becomes a virus, and stop it from doing any harm. We recommend scanning your computer for viruses at least once a week.

Is there a way to see a list of the services being associated with svchost?

If your operating system is Windows XP then you can view a list of the services using the following instructions.

Click on the Start button and go to the Run line. Type "cmd" without the quotation marks and click the "OK" button. Type "tasklist /svc" (without the quotation marks). Hit the "Enter" button on your keyboard to run the above command

++++++++++++

Jackflush

I tried it from windows folder and the root drive; all i got was a message: 'tasklist' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operablw progam or batch file.

I would like to know excactly what generic host process' are, bacause theres 14!!! Trend Micro will warn me day and night about this process. If I deny the request for connection, O, well then i play firewall pop-up pin ball, until i give into the requests. It makes me wonder what the average communication to the net from an average computer is. I also wonder if i deny the request to connect the process will it imediatly try again with a differnt IP? Anyways - whatev is going on i'm glad the tech forum is here 2 help...
venting is good...

Jackflush

I did that, it did nothing. o well i'll keep looking around. my computers been doin fine since search and destroy ran on it. my taskmanager wont minimize in the taskbar. the taskbar toolbar (language bar) loads on startup everytime. (?) I am still combing the net and help files trying to find out which process or service is running with svchost.exe. taskbar/ svc didnt work...? i better do some more reasearch before i post antmore. Also, Ive read all of trend micros help files on exceptions in the firewall and still dont know what it means if the exception rule is unchecked. I saw Mccaffee in progress yesterday and i was impressed with the amount of logon attemps it had captured in a single day. what is your take on AV programs.?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online