Q: Speed Issues A: Here

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flubio123

If anyone of my friends or relatives has speed issues I usually go through these couple of processes.

1. Download and install all critical Windows Updates.
2. Download and install SpywareBlaster (Freeware). Update all definitions and then enable all protection.
3. Download, install and run Crap Cleaner (Freeware).
4. Download and install Spyware Terminator (Freeware). Update all definitions, then do a full system scan.
5. Download, install and scan using Amust Registry Cleaner (Trial), then schedule a compacting of your registry.
6. Download, install and run SpeedGuides TCP Optimizer (Freeware).
6. Restart.
7. Defragment the drive. (For more advanced users try This GPL defrag utility)
8. Download, install and run Hijack This (Freeware). Then upload or copy and paste the log here. Then check and repair anything which you think are not needed by using the advice from the log analyzer. I say advice because you should only take it as a suggestion, never the true fact of what your should do for your computer.
9. Restart.
10. In the run window type "msconfig" and under "startup" uncheck any programs which you don't feel are necessary for the system. Then under "services" check the box "hide all microsoft services" and check any boxes which you feel are unnecessary. (Or use schusterjo's method below)
11. Restart.

You notice that I opt out of installing any firewall or antivirus software. This is because most good antivirus programs are resource hogs, thus providing a little more security by sacrificing speed. I have been using SpywareBlaster for the last 4 years with no antivirus or spyware program running and the Windows firewall disabled. This may be out of the question for the common user but I like to get the most performance out of my system. Although this is the proper fit for me THIS IS NOT A GOOD ALTERNATIVE FOR THE COMMON USER.

For an added speed boost right-click on "My Computer" and click on the "Advanced" tab. Under "Performance" click "Settings". Uncheck all of the boxes except the last one. This will leave the cool feel of the Windows XP start menu but drastically increase browsing speed and free up some system resources.

If anyone would like me to add anything please just let me know.

flubio123

Schusterjo I hope that the more familiar yet less user-friendly editing startup programs using msconfig is ok.

flubio123 said:
Schusterjo I hope that the more familiar yet less user-friendly way using msconfig is ok.
LOL it seems like I keep getting sucked into this debate, I personally do not recommend using Msconfig for controlling startup programs, only for a diagnostic purpose.
Very debatable subject and really could go both ways. I personally choose to stay away from it.

Oh I also looked into the spyware program you listed and is on the bogus spyware list
Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products & Web Sites
Recommended spyware programs at the very end of the list.
Also a few mentioned on the security section of this forum.
http://forums.techguy.org/security/110854-security-help-tools.html

flubio123

It seems you misread about SpywareBlaster.
"Note: should not be confused with the JavaCool app of the same name"
The SpywareBlaster which I provide a link to is provided by JavaCool, simple case of mistaken identity.

flubio123 said:
It seems you misread about SpywareBlaster.
"Note: should not be confused with the JavaCool app of the same name"
The SpywareBlaster which I provide a link to is provided by JavaCool, simple case of mistaken identity.
Wasn't talking about spywareblaster, I recommend it in my post as well.
See: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/534304-ie7.html

I was talking about,
Spyware Terminator (Freeware).
Its on the list
http://spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

flubio123

Umm, Spyware Terminator: "De-listed apps from 2006 include: Spyware Detector, Advanced Spyware Remover, Spyware Terminator"

I stand corrected, It is the last one they De-listed. But still should be noted I think.

I have seen and tested many Antivirus programs and liked AVG Antivirus because it has a fairly high detection rate.But this was NOT the best.After downloading a few programs and staying vulnerable for many weeks on the net,I got infected with innumerable number of worms,trojans and spywares.I scanned with AVG and came to a conclusion that AVG was the best but this was not until I got reinfected.I was desperate to know the cause because I couldn't afford to become infected and search for a cure.I found the answer to this soon.It was not only necessary to have an Antivirus program but was also necessary to have a firewall,an Antispyware,an Antispam,etc. protection to be completely safe on the net.Now,the search for the best Internet Security Suite began.....

I tested almost every Internet Security Suite on the net including TrendMicro,Zone Alarm,McAfee,Panda Titanium,etc. but found the two REAL Internet Security Suite martyrs.They were BitDefender and Kaspersky Internet Security Suite.Both detected almost 100% of the trojans and worms on my computer which the other came to fail across.Moreover,I was never infected when using these both products.They have their own advantages.First of all,both have a high detection and protection rate.Both have a considerable price for their protection as compared to the other bulky softwares that charge you to death and just give you an eye-candy.Both have a real-time protection but unlike other suites,do not hog on RAM.Both are resource friendly and work only according to your will.They are REALLY a complete Internet Security Suite.

As for the worst Internet Security Suites I have come across,they are McAfee and Norton.Both SUCK.McAfee hogs on RAM and once you install it on your computer,it will take ages for it to load.Moreover,it randomly scans parts of your computer in the background without your knowledge and also runs hidden security processes detecting nothing.Very low detection rate and can be easily exploited!In short,it's a security program acting like a spyware!Worse is Norton.It's a virus itself in the name of a security program.Many people trust Norton but do not know the truth.Norton uses a wicked strategy to stay in the market and that is to create it's own viruses!It then embeds them within their user's computers,asks you to update the program and in the next scan detects them and delete them.What shame!Moreover,like McAfee,it hogs on RAM and has the lowest detection rate.I would never use any of the programs even if someone paid me!

This is all from my personal experience.You can make an image in your mind and get my view.Hope,I have been helpful.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online