1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Q6600 92c full load

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by orchlon, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. orchlon

orchlon Thread Starter

My CPU is 49c to 51c on idle and 92c when i ran a stress test. It still works i can do whatever i want with it.

2. olryst

olryst

A stress test will push it to the limit, you will find most games and programs wont.

3. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

Some specs on the PC would help......make and model......92c is very hot what are you using to see the temps?

4. orchlon

orchlon Thread Starter

Q6600 2.4GHZ stock cooler
    8GB DDR2 800MHZ
    GTX260 896MB GDDR3
    ASUS P5QL Mobo i'm using everest to see these temps

5. Megabite

Megabite

Try this

Download and install hwmonitor
    and see what the temps etc are. Download the 1.17 setup, english on the righthand side.
    ....take a reading when PC Idle then put is under heavy load like maybe a game for awhile CPU(core) and GPU Video card and post them. (Just a screenshot of results is fine)

take another reading post the results

6. orchlon

orchlon Thread Starter

7. Megabite

Megabite

You CPU is getting way too hot.....your Graphics card is OK temps

8. orchlon

orchlon Thread Starter

i've had this CPU for 2 years running at this temp all the time. I guess it's okay what do you think?

9. Megabite

Megabite

I think it is too hot myself........did you install it yourself?

10. orchlon

orchlon Thread Starter

no it was like this when i bought it. People here in my country don't sell quality stuff. I don't game all the time though 2 hours tops a day unless games i've been waiting for are out

11. Megabite

Megabite

Understood....

The life will be shortened by the continuous heat....tell do you notice any slow downs or freezes at all

12. orchlon

orchlon Thread Starter

there's like a 0.1 sec freeze every 3 minutes or so on Crysis and GTA 4. Every other games are fine mass effect 2, black ops etc.

13. Megabite

Megabite

You could get another heatsink cooler for it or try replacing the thermal paste and also get a can of compressed air and blow out the heatsink....if it is clogged with dust.....I myself would want to get the temps down

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The max thermal spec for that cpu is around 71C so IF your reading of 92C is correct, then you have a problem.

Here is what I would do;
    1 Since this is 2yrs old, pull the hsf off and clean ALL parts with 99% or 91% alcohol
    2 Apply fresh thermal compound such as arctic silver or other compound
    3 Reinstall the hsf
    4 Make sure you have all cables, wires, etc tied up and out of the way so you can get good airflow through the case

Note for intel type cpus, I always recommend pulling the motherboard to R&R a hsf. This is for two reasons;
    1 With the board out of the case, you can check the 4 pushpins to make sure they are fully engaged
    2 You need to push pretty hard on the board to seat the pushpins and I dislike having to push so hard on the board when it is supported on standoffs.

15. orchlon

orchlon Thread Starter

re applied the thermal paste and it's running at 43c idle but it still reaches about 100c BUT before it was underclocking itself to prevent overheating but now when i ran a stress test it isn't underclocking itself it's running at a constant stock speed
    Edit: It was a really low quality thermal paste but probably the only i could find in a place like here

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974795

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice