1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

QTExtCode.dll

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by DarkSlayer, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarkSlayer

DarkSlayer Thread Starter

I'm running out of disk space on my C drive. A week ago I had over two gigs of free space on it and I havent installed much since then. After checking around on the drive I found the file QTExtCode.dll in the C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temp\~vis0000 folder. This file is two gigbytes in size and was created about three days ago. Is there any way I can find out what program made this file, or does anyone know if it's safe to delete it? The only reference to it I've been able to find is for some C++ toolkit that I've never heard of and I dont think it's talking about a dll file. Any help on this would be appreciated.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

it looks like Quicktime but may not be.... let me do some checking.
    have you downloaded music that may have had video files attached?
    you know what.... I can't find it..

I think you better run an updated virus scan... preferably housecall
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/

Also do you have ad-aware for spyware? you should run it too
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

4. DarkSlayer

I ran a search for the date it was created and it looks like it may be something from quicktime, although I dont know what it could possibly be. That thing you found from trolltech is the one I found but didn't think applied to it. I'll try the virus check next, and if that doesnt work I'll probably just uninstall quicktime and see what happens. Thanks for the advice.

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

DarkSlayer I am worried that it may be the Nimba trojan.. it renames itself... thats why i directed you to houecall

6. DarkSlayer

Ok, now im REALLY confused. It didnt find a virus, so I uninstalled QuickTime. That didn't delete it, so I reinstalled QuickTime. (I like watching movie trailers :) After I reinstalled it, the entire ~vis0000 folder was gone and I have my two gigs back. So... Thanks for trying to help me, but I guess I got it fixed, even if I still have no idea why it happened.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63938

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice