1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quad core processor acting as dual-core?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thegameplaysk, Sep 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegameplaysk

thegameplaysk Thread Starter

Hi,

about 2 years ago I have upgraded my computer with a new motherboard, rams and a processor and since we moved in between I cannot find the boxes or bills from that time.

The problem:
    I am 90 percent sure, that at the time I wanted a quad core processor and my computer properties say that I have Intel Core i5-3450.
    I googled around and all retailers as well as Intel list this processor as quad, but I whenever I use aplications where cores are displayed (i.e. playclaw or some kind of benchmarking), it only ever shows core 0 and core 1.
    When I go to task manager > processes > and go to select affinity on a random process, once again only 2 cores are aviable to choose from.

Any ideas what might be causing this? Because if I am not mistaken I have had my computer on a leash for 2 years...

2. SM4SH

SM4SH

in windows 7 press the start key > type msconfig > click the boot tab > advanced options

in the top left there is a box that says number of processors. if it is checked you can uncheck it, or change the drop down box below it to 4.

3. thegameplaysk

thegameplaysk Thread Starter

That did it! Thanks A LOT!
    Any rep system I can use to give you points or something like that?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1133436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice