1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quad core vs dual core for gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BruinBeer, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BruinBeer

BruinBeer Thread Starter

This post is a extension on my previous thread. I would like to hear from everyone who is interested. Which is the best for gaming: Quad core or dualcore cpu's. This is now a open discussion. I am not trying to double-post; I posted this thread to focus more on the question at hand.

Posted via Mobile Device

2. Compiler

Compiler

But we did kind of answer the question, no?

It depends. Older games, not so much. What kind of game? Future games, more important. Depends on the CPU. A quad core AMD 9400 would be a slower CPU than a newer AMD X2 550.

A chart was provided to help form a purchasing decision.

Any of the $65~400(USD) CPU can play many games in 1680x1080 at 40+ fps, depending on the GPU.

3. BruinBeer

BruinBeer Thread Starter

Any games like COD5, Crysis, F.E.A.R 2 Project Origin, GTA iv etc. Oh and yes you did answer the question, its just that there may be other people that still want to discuss this matter.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Compiler

Compiler

Then it can be discussed in the original thread or in the gaming section.

5. rfxcasey

rfxcasey

I would go for the fastest Dual core you can afford. You will save money and have better performance on most everything as opposed to a lower frequency quad. Take a look at the AMD Kuma 2.8 Ghz processor. It's sold as an X2 but it's really a Phenom with 2 of the cores disabled. I just got one about 7 months ago and it totally rocks everything I throw at it with a ATI 4830 video card. You may want to see about getting a 4870 as it's probably better bang for your buck right now.

6. BruinBeer

BruinBeer Thread Starter

I am starting to think about the Intel Core2 Duo E8400 3.0ghz seriously. Ive read very positive things about it on the PCSTATS webpage. And they have OC it from 3.0ghz stock to 4.05ghz.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. blaze_spirit9999

blaze_spirit9999

i will suggest get an AMD phenom II x2 550 @ 3.1 GHz. Spend your money on the better GPU is better then spend the money on CPU cuz most of the games are GPU dependent. ( correct me if i'm wrong).

Note : if u lucky, the amd 550 BE can be unlock into a quad core proc. wo...

8. BG-0

BG-0

Kumas are out of production, replaced by the newer and better Athlon II x2** series costing the same, and Phenom II x2 x5** series.

That's just pretty much stupid. E8400 is outdated, Socket 775 overall is outdated, 4 GHz dual core will still get buttraped by GTA 4, it really needs a quad core CPU. If you want to play current games, except GTA4, for 3 years to come, go on, but future games will really use quads well. You can't update your CPU later on to anything worth getting with the E8400, either.

9. Compiler

Compiler

Yeah... I was thinking, you'll never quite be able to "build for the future", because motherboards are changing all the time. A board today doesn't have SATA3, USB3 and PCIe 3... it won't be until mid-late 2010 that boards will have all three.

Most likely, todays i7 motherboards won't use i9 CPUs - if Intel's history holds the same.

With that in mind... it IS the end of the line for Core2. i3 replaces Core2.

So either buy an AMD AM3 board (good for the next 1-3 years) or maybe wait until i3/i5 comes out... or go with the Core2.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/855610

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice