1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quad core vs Dual core

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by m1k3y123, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m1k3y123

m1k3y123 Thread Starter

Basically i'm not a computer expert I know the basic/intermediate knowledge of a computer and would like some tips. Im into my gaming, not very competitive gaming so none of the popular CoD games and such but games such as WoW, WarRock, RisingForceOnline and such others but I came across a dilemma. What would be better for gaming, a quad core processor, or a dual core processor. The processor's I speak of are the

AMD ATHLON II X4 635 AM3 Quad Core Processor 4 x 2.9Ghz

And the

AMD Athlon II X2 Dual Core 255 3.10GHz

I'm a bit unsure of how this all works out because the quad core has 4 x 2.9Ghz processors therfore a total of 11.6Ghz, and the Dual core would equal 6.2Ghz. Could some explain to me how all of this works and which would be better for my situation?

Thankyou

Mike

2. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

First, the quad-core has 4 2.9GHz processors equal to 4 2.9GHz processors. They are not accumulative. Don't mistake this.

The average Windows program is written for one processor. That program will use one processor, regardless of how many you have in your system. Windows is not like Linux. The operating system doesn't control processor use, the individual programs do.

WoW has been optimized for use with multiple processors. But it hasn't been written from the ground up to support them.

In WoW's case, you will see better performance on the dual-core listed than the quad-core, provided you are not doing anything else on the computer at the time.

In short, multiple processors optimize using multiple programs (that actually use the processor in the first place). They don't optimize the speed of a single process. Don't add up processors for speed. It doesn't work that way.

Courtney

3. m1k3y123

m1k3y123 Thread Starter

Thankyou for your reply

Mike

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/963028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice