1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quake on Windows 2000

Discussion in 'Games' started by JmanA9, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JmanA9

JmanA9 Thread Starter

I'm having problems playing Quake III Arena in Windows 2000. Quake worked fine on this machine while running Windows 98, but running 98 isn't an option at the moment. When I start it up, I get this error:
    The card that I'm running this on is an ATI Range 128 Pro integrated 4MB card. I know that's below the requirements, but it worked beautifully on this machine in 98. I have DirectX 9 installed, and the most updated drivers for my video card. Is there any way I can play quake on this machine?

2. McTimson

McTimson

Install this driver, if it doesn't work, there's not much you can do...QIII needs a card with full OpenGL support, and those drivers can only emulate OpenGL, and QIII also needs a 16MB card....not sure how you managed to play it before, but are you sure it was Quake III and not Quake I or II?

3. Fastlane247

Fastlane247 It's My Birthday!

I have never seen quake 3 work on a system with 4mb ram on the graphics... i am really supprised you had that running before. If i were you i would seriously think about upgrading that video card.... do you have an agp slot? if you do get the 9600xt it is an awsome card... but then again..what are your system specs because if you only have a 4mb integrated video card you may need to upgrade the whole system.

4. JmanA9

JmanA9 Thread Starter

I don't really want to upgrade the card on this machine. This isn't my main one that I use, so I don't really want to invest in any upgrades for it. I might be able to aquire a graphics card from a relative, let's hope that happens ;)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice