1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quality Notebooks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monsond19, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monsond19

monsond19 Thread Starter

I'm looking to be buying a laptop before I head into the service but everything is so *#&$(@ expensive. I know that the mark up is huge but this is unbelievable. Everything thing that I see in the price range i'm aiming for is so sub par for what I want in my computer. Anyone have any suggestions on a good place to shop for a laptop?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually if you have a local computer shop of the mom and pop variety, I would ask about the possibility of purchasing a good quality used Laptop. I picked up a killer Dell Laptop for $300 and the extent of my upgrades cost me less than $200 to bring it to where I wanted it.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd start by deciding what attributes you want in the machine. I have been using an Averatec laptop for several years, and I'm quite happy with it. My requirements were portability, since I wanted it for business trips. However, some folks want a desktop replacement, and are looking for a larger unit.

It's pointless to shop for the unit until you have a clear idea of what you expect to do with it.

4. monsond19

monsond19 Thread Starter

I want a laptop for portability but for power also. I want at least 512 memory if not a gig. I want a fast processor and a nice big screen. Thats about it.

5. steveb1492

steveb1492

What kind of battery life do you want?
    How large of a screen?
    What kind of weight?
    What pricerange?

What is the 100000000000000000th digit of pi?:D

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

best deals and best quality I have seen in notebooks is right here:
    www.hpshopping.com

7. JohnWill

Well, you have conflicting requirements. A fast processor and a big screen usually makes the laptop considerably less portable. :) The memory is no issue, I have 640mb in mine.

8. monsond19

monsond19 Thread Starter

I would like a 17 inch screen. I'm not to worried about the weight because I'm not really a tiny guy so that is no problem. Battery life I'd say just about 2-3 hours minimal. I will be travelling between places that just happen to have outlets. Go figure. lol My price range is about $1,000 to $1,500.

9. JohnWill

Well, I used to think like you, and I had a pretty large Compaq that I traveled with. After lugging that around for a couple of years, I realized that I'd rather pack less weight. A 17" screen on a laptop is huge, and that will be at least a 10# unit, and that's before you consider the power supply brick, etc. ;)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/482427

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice