1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quality of display in XP, help !!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by moghm, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moghm

moghm Thread Starter

hi guys,

I have an acer with a 17 inch screen. I have recently downgraded from vista to XP. Computer running much better now. The acer has an nvidia geforce go6100 graphics card and I downloaded the correct drivers and installed them for the graphics card. However, I have noticed a big change in the image quality where as in vista the image was glossy and crisp, etc, XP is displaying the image as a bit blurred and matt. To summarise, not as good as in vista.

Do you know why this could be ? I am using the correct drivers and have updated the settings as they were on vista i.e 1024 by 768 at 32bit.

many thanks

2. sludge3000

sludge3000

I think the matt look is just XP :p. If you could post a screenshot so we can see whether the text is blurred at all that would be useful.

You can also check the colour quality settings of your desktop by right clicking on your desktop and selecting properties then go to the settings tab. Here you should set the colour quality to highest.

Let us know if this helps or post a screenshot.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    moghm:

Find out what the native resolution is for that laptop because a LCD screen displays best at its native resolution.

If it's a wide-screen 17" model, the native resolution isn't going to be 1024 X 768.

Here is some interesting reading:

http://compreviews.about.com/od/multimedia/a/LCDSpecs.htm

-------------------------------------------------------------------

4. moghm

moghm Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for all the help. I believe I have resolved the display problem. Which was due to a. not using the correct resolution, and b. I had the dpi of the graphics card display set as large. Now corrected.

However, now I have a different issue.

I have a 2 Mbps broad band connection, and on vista I was able to get a consistent wireless connection speed of 1.8 Mbps. Now with XP I can only get around 1.35 Mbps. Have take the laptop closer to the router, but made no difference. Then I connected an ethernet cable and did a speed test, it came out as 1.9 Mbps. So, I am now thinking that driver for the wirless utility aint as good as vista.

any ideas ?

many thanks and hope I can use the above problem in my existing post:)

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Sounds like the wireless driver is not up to speed. Remember that some of the hardware was DESIGNED to run on Vista and then the XP drivers come out later.

6. moghm

moghm Thread Starter

yep, sounds about right. I might try to get another driver for it.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/816924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice