Quarantine folder and contents -

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

blasterbash

Recently I have been part of a virus removal team, specifically the w32/blaster worm. The primary tool we have been using is McAfee 7.0. Normally it moves the svchost.exe in the winnt\system32\wins folder to c:\quarantine. A simple delete of this file does not work and requires scanning the svchost.exe.vir file and then deleting using McAfee. Is this an ownership issue? and... is the file still locked into the operating system? I have understood it is recommended to delete this file. Who actually owns/controls this file? Can anyone explain what effect/significance of the existence of this file in the quarantine folder could be to the OS/network? My understanding of quarantine is that the file is simply being preserved so it can be recovered in the event it has important data. I havn't been able to find any documentation or specifications that say otherwise. I would happily be enlightened.
Thanks!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online