1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Quasi Blue Screen

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Brvsfn01, Oct 12, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    Computer Configuration:

Dell Optiplex 9020 Desktop
    Intel Core i5 4590 CPU @ 3.30 Ghz
    250 Gig SATA HDD
    12 Gigs DDR3 12800 RAM
    Windows 10 Pro
    Browser: Firefox
    Dual Monitors 1 hooked up via DVI cable and the second hooked up via HDMI cable.

I had a bit of a scare this morning and I am not sure what to make of it and I hope the members can help me figure out what is going on. I was on the MSN web page which is my home page and I clicked on a story and all of a sudden I get this bluish screen with very low res printing that is telling me an error has occured and information and a trouble report is being sent to Microsoft. I shut down my browser and restarted my computer and immediately Firefox opened up and too me to the same page where I got the error message. I clicked out of it and shut down my computer. My first thought was virus/malware and my second thought was hard drive failure.

Later this afternoon I unhooked my computer and opened the case to see if anything had come loose and from all appearances everything is solid. I hooked all of my perhipherals back up and restarted my computer and have been using it pretty hard for the past 2 or so hours and it is working as well as it ever has. I ran Malware Bytes Pro twice and Windows Defender as well as the Scandisc tool and everything comes back good so I am stumped as to what happened. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?? Thanks all.

2. Shazzalive

Shazzalive Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Sharron
    Your computer was built for Windows 7 with a view to upgrading to Windows 8. It has a 4th Generation Intel i5 CPU that was discontinued in 2017, and it uses DDR3 RAM.

Based on the above information I think it would be safe to say that, due to the age of the machine, you can expect these strange things to happen from time to time. - I suspect that it may be nearing the end of its working life.

Keep monitoring it and see how things go. If you have any more problems with it them please don't hesitate to ask us for more advice.

3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Some reasons for Blue Screens
    New hardware - Software installed.
    Device driver - Video driver - corrupted - faulty.
    Faulty Ram - Overheating - Dying hard drive, etc.
    ======
    Post the Minidump files
    Create a new folder on the desktop and call it dumpfiles [or something similar]
    Look in c:\windows\minidump
    Copy the last 4 minidump files to that folder.

Close the folder and right click on it and select Send To Compressed [zipped] Folder.
    Windows will compress the file and then save the new zipped file in the same location.
    Attach the zip folder by using the 'Upload a File' button.

4. Brvsfn01

Brvsfn01 Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    @Shazzalive - I am aware of and agree with everything you wrote but I am retired and on a fixed income and I don't have $2,000 or $3,000 for a fancy new computer. I have to get what I can afford and most of the computers I have bought in the last 5 to 6 years have come from the Goodwill EStore in my area and so far I have been happy with what I have bought. I have a 3rd generation core i5 Dell Latitude e6430 Laptop I bought in 2017 before I got my desktop I ran the piss out of my laptop and it never missed a step and I still have it and use it. Docking Station, Dual full HD monitors, AIO, Laser printer, speakers, the works. I buy name brand Dell, Lenova, HP business class because they have a well earned reputation for holding up and until there is evidence that tells me to do otherwise I will continue on this course.

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

The thing to remember to do when you encounter anything strange while browsing is to close the tab or close the browser. Then unplug the ethernet or disconnect WiFi and clear the browser cache.

6. Blu_86

Blu_86

My advice would be not to worry too much about it, and try to re-create it. Visit the same page and the same links with the same Firefox version browser not just once, but many times and see if it happens again. If it does, visit the same page multiple times with Edge, and Chrome and see how that works as well. It could be something really simple like the specific version of Firefox you're using didn't play well with the code on the webpage (maybe the code/html changed) and didn't mesh well with your browser.

If it does turn out that it happens again, check that you have the latest version of Firefox see if you need an update -- all the while comparing it to Edge and Chrome on the same page. Make sure you are using Windows 10 UAC in tact at the default level (to warn if something tried to install), and that you have something that can augment Windows 10 for security like Malwarebytes and scan on a semi-regular basis with Windows 10 built in AV and Malwarebytes.

Also it could be something like a Windows 10 update that didn't play well with whatever video solution you're using (like the integrated video *iGPU* on your I5 4590) or other solution that you might be using. My bet is that it was a video driver fluke or a browser incompatibility for that page that may have been updated.

Regarding EOL of your system it's a Dell and a Gen 4 I5, nothing to worry about regarding hardware other than an older power supply, and a PSU that is 5 years old is on the margin however Dell PSU's are underrated power wise, and longevity wise so I think you should be good but if not you will start to notice continuing oddities like freezing, BSOD's on a regular basis.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    FWIW: Since you have everything else (monitors, keyboard/mouse, etc) a desktop on its own would be fairly cheap, especially from Dell, and the fact the multiple holidays coming up (at least in the US) you may find it more cheaper.

8. Shazzalive

Shazzalive Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Sharron
    Inappropriate content removed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2019 at 12:18 PM
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice