1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Query.. Re: AVG 7..

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by HBLEAV, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HBLEAV

HBLEAV Thread Starter

Hi All.

I just installed AVG 7..(had in the past AVG 6).. Install - I think went okay. I seem to have it on my computer.(Dell, XP Pro)..

It says.. Virus update is out of date.. YET. it won't let me update the virus files??

Anyone else have this problem.

Also. when I sent an email to myself.. it says. AVG email scanner is out of date?? What gives.. How do I correct this.

And also.. what ARE the correct configurations for AVG 7..

I was able to have "it' check for updates daily.. but theres no place that tells you it will 'scan daily' your files?? unless I'm mistaken, and haven't seen it.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks
    helene

2. HBLEAV

HBLEAV Thread Starter

I got the updates.. The update manager said.. "Internet connection failed.. Check your settings." and when I went to my settings/connections.. The "always dial a connection was NOT checked??? for some strange reason.

So I checked it. and the update manager worked fine.

3. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi HBLMSL

The email scanner being out of date would be due to not having the virus definitions updated.
    Is it still giving you that message after updating it?

Double click on the Scheduler component, it should tell you the next scheduled scan time.

Click on Test Center then click on Results it should show the times, dates and results of any prior scans.

Selecting each component and clicking on Settings should enable you to check and configure AVG7's settings.

Any particular setting you are looking for?

AVG updating has been just a little slow for me these past two days.

Let us know.

4. HBLEAV

HBLEAV Thread Starter

Hi EAFiedler:

Thanks for the quick reply.. After I changed the settings(that had been changed?? but how. I don't know). in my email configuration..

Anyway, after I changed the settings. to "always dial a connection"(Earthlink, ISP- Dial up).

I then downloaded the latest AVG updates.

Then I sent myself an email. and this time.. The email showed.. AVG IS protecting my email..etc etc.

I have my scheduler checked for updates.. BUT, there's no place that you can have it checked for 'automatic scanning, of AVG every morning. As I was able to do with AVG 6..

It says. in order to schedule another task,, you have to BUY AVG.. So, whether I'm not seeing it. or "just maybe".. after it scans for the updates.. Maybe does it automatically.. THEN scan for the AVG virus control?? Just curious..

Thanks for your help.
    Helene

5. Diamond Geez

Diamond Geez

Hi HBLMSL, I am having great difficulty updating as well, I am on cable but dont leave the comp on overnight, when booting up, AVG tries to update but will not connect, taking up to an hour to check for updates, then maybe another hour getting updates, cant understand why it is so slow.
    Trying at this time to update to no avail. (1.9k received)

Regards
    Keith

6. Diamond Geez

Diamond Geez

Just got it updated, eventually once connected took approx 1 minute to d/load, is it just busy servers?

Keith

7. HBLEAV

HBLEAV Thread Starter

Hi Diamond Geez

Busy servers.. That is a possibility. cause I think, if I remember correctly,, tomorrow. is the last day.. you can use AVG 6.. So maybe everyone is trying to download AVG 7 today. and update it.

Funny, I'm on dial-up. and the download said, 1 hour 44 minutes. and I said, UGH.. Oh well, nothing I can do.. but wait it out.. Well, in 1 hour. it jumped.. from l hour 44 minutes.. to DONE.. So I dont' know how or why.. But I do recall seeing other downloads that do this too.. You think you have to wait and wait.. but then all of a sudden,, the download is finished.. I was grateful for that.. cause I HATE waiting. LOL

So, maybe as you say.. the updates are taking time.. because everyone is downloading AVG 7 today. and installing it.

For me though.. Mine was a 'connection problem" as stated by AVG. and when I did go to connections. the box that said dial a connection was UNCHECKED.. But yet. I did have my dial-up. cause I was on the internet.. So who knows.. but at least it's fixed..

Take care.
    Helene

8. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

So nothing shows when you highlight the Scheduler?

Nothing shows for a scan for tomorrow at 8:00 am?

When I downloaded and installed my AVG7, the scheduler was already setup.

Now I am having problems downloading the updates, and I am on DSL.

I keep getting the Internet dconnection has failed, when I am connected 24/7.

I am checking out their site now.

Attached Files:

• AVG.JPG
      AVG.JPG
      File size:
      84.8 KB
      Views:
  9. HBLEAV

HBLEAV Thread Starter

Hi .. I just changed my update manager to 8 am.. but it also says.. 9:30 am.. so I"m confused and guess will wait for tomorrow.. to see when it actually does start.

As far as your connection. thats pretty much what I had.. Go to your connections.(even though you're "always on 24/7" and make sure, that the connection box. is CHECKED.. cause as I said, Mine was not. and I WAS on the internet.. but for some reason. the box - had become unchecked..

So I would check your connections.. even though, you ARE on.. .and see if there is a box that has to be checked

Helene

10. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

I did not find anything on their site www.grisoft.com pertaining to the servers.

Mine finally updated after 5 tries.

AVG7's icon is back to its colorful self!

Look at you HBLMSL figured it out already! :)

Where is it showing two times? In the scheduled tasks?

11. HBLEAV

HBLEAV Thread Starter

Hi.. It's showing 2 different times..One in the update manager, and one in the scheduler.. So what that means. I have no clue.

Glad you got yours updated...I agree, when I saw the AVG icon back to it's colored self.. I was YEAH. I'm back.. LOL

Helene

12. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Updater: The time it will check for updates.

Scheduler: The time it scans your system.

I have my updater turned off, I manually check everyday.

13. HBLEAV

HBLEAV Thread Starter

Thanks.. I just re-configured my times to update and schedule a scan.. Thank you for that info.

Funny thing just happened.. 3 emails came in. and all of a sudden. something flashed by the colored icon from AVG .. didnt' make out what it said.. So I looked in the virus vault.. but it wasn't there.. so whatever it was.. Something was 'scanned'.. but for what.. I dont' know.. I've gotten other emails. and that didnt' happen.. Strange.. Something else.. to 'learn'. LOL

Take care.
    helene

14. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

It was probably the balloon that notifies you AVG is scanning and verifying your email messages.

If that becomes annoying, you can disable the email scanning as it offers no additional protection.

15. bobc

bobc

Lots of forums showing concerns about FREEAVG updates - seems its due to busy servers and priority being given to purchased versions.
    I can't find the link that I saw this on earlier tonight, but it was on the Grisoft FAQ site:
    http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqindex.php?id_rodice=26
    If I can find it again, I will post it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324349

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice