1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about 2 Piece RAM Kits

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dyeprecision93, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dyeprecision93

dyeprecision93 Thread Starter

I recently found a 512MB RAM card or whatever the heck its called inside my old computer, I researched it on the manufacturers website (Centon) and it turns out that it is compatible with my current motherboard.

It says on the label that it is a Centon 512MB 1GBDUALPC3200 2 PC KIT....I only have one of them and not the other and just wanted to know if I can use it in my computer without having the other one installed that came in the kit same at the time.

P.S. - If this helps at all I have a ECS Elitegroup P4M800PRO-M (1.0) motherboard with a
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.06GHZ (2 CPUs) processor and 1024MB of RAM.

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

My advice would be if you already have 1 Gig of Ram in your Puta then leave well enough alone.

The other question is what have you got now. Is the 1 Gig you have PC 3200 (400Mhz) ???

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

If it is compatible you can try it, the pc will let you know what it thinks fairly quickly. If the pc is dual channel of course you need matched ram, but then it isn't running that way now anyway...

4. dyeprecision93

dyeprecision93 Thread Starter

Well Im a FPS player so I need a nice pc but I don't know what kind of RAM i have in my pc currently, I'll open it up and check when i get the chance...But anyway, why would it matter?

----> If my pc were "dual channel" (don't know what that means) and I were to put the single 512MB into my computer, would anything bad happen to the computer?

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is a strange board; it supports both ddr and ddr2. The specs say it has 4 ram slots however I am assuming you get two of each; 2 ddr and 2 ddr2. I do not think you can mix the ram so you only have two slots that are usable.

So in short you are stuck with what you have unless you want to scrap your current memory and buy 1 gig chips since the board will support up to a 1gig chip.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/551787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice