Question about a wired network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bulmer22

Okay after being tired about the unreliability of wireless i decided to run an ethernet cable from my router to my computer, my wireless connection was really messed up up and it usually crawls at terrible speed and disconnects a lot.

Im running Vista but my laptop keeps connecting automatically to various wireless networks, the only way I can get a connection through my cable is by disconnecting from a network and then plugging the cable in. Is there a way I can make sure my computer is connecting through my ethernet connection every time instead of wireless?, and also how to properly configure everything for ethernet?.
I was thinking that I could turn off my wireless adapter through device manager however im unsure if this would mess anything else up - also im not sure which it is, under network adapters I have 'Atheros Wireless Network Adater' and 'SiS Ethernet controller'.

If anybody has any ideas how I can set everything up so my ethernet connection works properly it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Just disable the wireless connection, either in Device Manager or in Network Connections, that won't upset anything else.

Most laptops have an on off switch readily visible for wireless access near the keyboard.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Or a function key sequence if they don't have the physical switch.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts