1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about acronis backup warning..

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by whateversky, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. whateversky

whateversky Thread Starter

Hi l came on here about 3 weeks ago, basically asking for help with backing up or creating an image of my c drive, just in case my computer crashes, and l was seeking help with acronis true image home.
    Well l eventually bought it, and its a great program, pretty easy to use l guess.
    But l want to ask a question and l know it sounds like an odd one.
    You see l made an image or created a partition of my c: drive, with Acronis aswell as this l created a bootable cd, and l setup the acronis recovery manager, so you can load into acronis at boot time by pressing f11.
    Anyway after l created my image on an external hard drive (e:) l deliberately decided to recover the c: drive image and it recovered good in just minutes in fact, but Acronis tells me to that my system is not fully protected? (this is after l recovered my computer) So i'm just wondering why is sais that? considering l made an image backup just before l recovered my computer. Just call me curious l guess.
    It'd be good if someone on here could tell me why acronis keeps telling me this? Or do you continually have to keep making backups, so this message won't appear. Or does it even matter at all?
    thanks

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Please post the exact and full message, and when it appears.

3. whateversky

Hi thanks for your answer, the message/s is basically on the 'home' part of the acronis true image program.
    Below where it has the heading 'Welcome to acronis true image home 2010'.
    It sais 'Your system is not fully protected. Perform the following operations. (ie.e. back up your system).
    And this occurs 'after' l recovered my system, after creating an image of my c drive.
    Any questions just ask. bye

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Did you make the image while in windows? or from the boot cd or the recovery manager?

5. whateversky

Hi wow quick answer, yeah im pretty sure l made the c drive image when l was in windows i'm using xp.
    And regarding the boot cd l have only created on using a blank cd, but l have never used it.
    And l have used the recovery manager twice after activating it, via acronis, and this is how l recovered my c drive through the recovery manager (not through, windows). I just wanted to 'test things out' so to speak, but yeah l really don't know why it still tells me my system isn't backed up.
    I'm not a computer expert obviously, but maybe it had something to do with the whole recovery process as it did delete the c drive and recover the whole thing again, and another thing l forgot to mention, apart from the backup warning message (basically my computer not being backed up) the acronis recovery manager was deactivated also, so before recovering my c drive it was activated and after the whole process its now deactivated, hmm beats me, like l said any solutions would be great, or suggestions. And l don't know if this has happened to anyone else? bye and thanks. ciao.

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

When you install Acronis, it will prompt you to create an image, which you did.
    However, the image created is of the system at that time, which is immediately PRIOR to creating the first image. If you then restore that image to the system, the restored image doesn't know that you've ever created an image; that flag can't be set until after the image is successfully created, so it will not be part of that first image.

You restored the system to the time right before you created the first image, so you will be prompted to backup the system. The system doesn't know that it's been restored from an image.

Just shows that it really did restore to the exact state the system was in.

7. whateversky

Hi thank you for your answer, you'll have to excuse me, its after 5 a.m. in the morning, and im half awake here, Ok l think l get it now, so basically all in all that's the way acronis works and all that, and the message from acronis about my system not being backed up is only 'natural' after recovering my c drive? So basically every time or when l recover my system, (or c drive) l'll always get the message about my system not being backed up correct?
    Sorry for the stupid questions.
    Thanks heaps.
    ciao

8. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You'll only get that message if you restore using the first image you created.

Install Acronis. A flag is set saying Image has NOT Been Created
    Create an image. Once it is created successfully, the flag is changed to
    Image HAS Been Created
    The flag is not changed until AFTER the image is created, so the flag contained in the firest image says Image has NOT Been Created

Next week/month, create a 2nd image. Since the flag says Image HAS Been Created BEFORE the image is created, that is the flag the image contains.

If you restore the first image, you will restore the flag that says Image has NOT Been Created
    If you restore the first image, as far as the system is concerned, that first image doesn't exist, it has no record of it.

If you restore the second image, you will restore the flag that says Image HAS Been Created.

It doesn't matter how many images you create, it all depends on the state of that flag when you start the process of creating an image.
    You can make one image a week for the next year, numbered 1-52. You can restore any of the of those images numbered 2-52 and they will not cause that message to appear, but if you restore the first image, as far as the software knows, none of those 52 images were ever created.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921299

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice