1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question About ActiveX

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ConJe01, Mar 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ConJe01

ConJe01 Thread Starter

Thank you for your awesome site! I can't pretend to even know about most computer related issues, especially when it comes to security. So, I'm glad there are people out there looking out for us.

I have a question about the re-post of the info below:

3) Go to Internet Options/Security/Internet, press 'default level', then OK.
    Now press "Custom Level."
    In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to 'prompt', and 'Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe" to 'disable'.

It states to 'prompt' for unsigned ActiveX controls... Since it suggests to tick prompt and not to tick disable, what are some examples a user may actually need to allow an unsigned ActiveX? Thank you.

2. CleaverX

CleaverX

Some sites functionalities require Active-X however for reason beyond my comprehension some active X are unsigned (same as some drivers). It does not mean those are not safe, so by choosing to be prompted, you have a chance to decide to allow it or not. If this is a site you trust like your banking institution, school or social site, you can allow it, but say you were redirected to a site you are not familiar with, you should choose to not allow it, and deal with it later.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice