1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about adding a hard drive to a SATA box.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by algae, Apr 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. algae

algae Thread Starter

I have a SATA Hd in one of my computers. It's the only one in that particular pc. I have a spare IDE hd that I would like to add. Are there any "issues" I should be aware of in doing this, given that none of the IDE channels are presently in use? Do I set it as master or slave, etc....

Tia for any info.
    Gary

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd use an 80 conductor cable and set the drive to CS (Cable Select). You will also probably have to adjust the BIOS settings to force the boot from the SATA drive.

3. thetruetman

thetruetman

I've done the same thing. Had some problems at first, but it was because of a BIOS setting I had wrong. Works great if you have spare IDE H/D's lying around, or using as a backup.

4. algae

algae Thread Starter

Well I added the IDE hdd. I moved the DVD burner as a secondary master and put this one on as primary master and it seems to work fine.
    It still boots fine from the SATA drive.
    Thanks again for your help.

Gary

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/353304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice