1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about adding memory.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chum, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

I have 4 slots. 1st 2 each have 64 megs-PC100(sdram). A friend gave me...(new, in package) 2 32 meg modules. When I installed them computer seems to only recognize the first one at post(count goes to 163)...I shut down before Windows started and removed the last 32...still counts 163...let Windows load.

Belarc says this under memory heading...

160 Megabytes Installed Memory
    64 Megabyte Module Size - 2 Installed
    32 Megabyte Module Size - 1 Installed
    One Memory Socket is Empty

What is my problem, my socket or module...I know I could test this by removing the 32 that is working in third slot, and plugging in the other one, but man these things fit tight. What would you guys do?

2. deuce

deuce

Try taking out all 4 ram modules and try only the apperant not working one. If it works, the take it out and try the other 32. If that works, then try both 32s at the same time. If you get only one working try taking them out and switching slots. If that works try all 4 in again and if you get the same problem, switch the 32s around. Don't switch witht he 64 as the biggest should go in first. (so the 2 64s should be in slot 0 and 1, as it sounds like they are) If that still doesn't work... is all the ram made by the same manufacture? Did you double check that all the ram is the same speed?

3. Marturo

Marturo Guest

All ram is not created equal. Try just the 32s in 0 & 1 and see if it shows 64mg also if you know the model #s of both Computers why not go to http://www.crucial.com and run the model #s through there memory finder. If you see the same part #s it might just work. Like with an HP, ram wont work in a Compaq. Just because it is a 168pin SDRAM PC 100 and looks just like your 64s do does not mean it will work. Also make real sure you never touch RAM with out being grounded or you will kill the chip. Memory of different manufactures sometimes don't work well together. While you are on Crucials web site read there great write ups on installing RAM, it's not that hard to put in unless you are doing something wrong. Each kind of Ram has a right way and a wrong way of installing. Good luck, Marturo

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice