1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about an oldie's expansion...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DreadStorm, Aug 30, 2019.

1. DreadStorm

DreadStorm Thread Starter

First Name:
    Wayne
    This is system-specific for an HP DC7900 USDT little thing.
    Core 2 Duo e8600 3.33GHz and 4GB RAM. Runs Windows XP Pro.

I'm planning a multimedia system of sorts - plugged into the TV and stereo already. I gave it a Blu-Ray and a USB card reader, all working fine.

Now, there is a Mini PCI-Express slot on the motherboard.
    I'm hoping someone here can definitively tell me if (A) I can use it for other things instead of a wifi card, and (B) what sort of SSD can I throw into it - or another SATA controller if an SSD isn't going to work?

I did research this, but I couldn't find any definitive answer to the above.
    So, if anyone has/had one, and knows please help. I don't want to buy anything only to find out it doesn't work.

Motherboard image is attached.

Attached Files:

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    In most cases, those type of slots are dedicated to a single option (such as a wifi card). They often don't use a standard connector type or support numerous types of hardware. ie: if it was designated a wifi slot, then that's all that it is likely to support.

As for an SSD, to the best of my knowledge, you can simply swap the current spinning drive for an SSD. For best results, however, you will need to perform a fresh install of Windows (XP) for it to function properly. I've not used an SSD with XP, but with Win7, there are registry entries which affect operation and performance with an SSD and the easiest way to get it set properly was to simply install the OS onto the drive.

bassfisher6522 likes this.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice