1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about anti-virus and anti-spyware apps

Discussion in 'General Security' started by tomdkat, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

I do a fair amount of computer support work where I disinfect Windows machines infected with various viruses or spyware/malware. I do the usual stuff like installing and updating anti-virus (AVG) and anti-spyware (Ad-Aware, SPybot, AVG, etc) apps, scanning the system in safe mode, and so on.

I'm wanting to setup a Windows machine dedicated to scanning hard drives for viruses, spyware, and malware. The idea would be to have this machine setup with good anti-virus and anti-spyware apps and I would use external USB hard drive enclosures to hold infected hard drives and scan them on my "clean machine". I've already got 2.5" and 3.5" external USB HDD enclosures and I've already scanned a few hard drives using them connected to a "clean" XP machine I have.

Ok, that's the background on to the questions:
    • How good are anti-virus and anti-spyware apps at scanning hard drives connected via USB HDD enclosures? During the scans I've done this way, a number of items have been found but there always seems to be something left behind when I boot from the scanned HDD.
    • How thoroughly can the Windows registry on the HDD being scanned be scanned and cleaned on an externally connected HDD?
    • Is scanning a HDD through an external USB enclosure any better/safer than scanning in safe mode?
    • Are there any anti-virus or anti-spyware apps that do a particularly better job at scanning the filesystem than others?
    Thanks!

Peace...

2. amagnien

amagnien

Ok I see a little the problem.

You know each company and each anti-virus program or even version have a different type of operation while scanning. As example if you take McAfee they change there engine for each version and software whereas a Norton its practically the same.

Now to see the problem for you it depend what software you're using. Or I would ask you to use different type of antivirus(not at the same time uninstall and install the new one) and check if they do the same errors. And also another problem depends on your PC RAM available(remaining) if you RAM is very low and that you're using some programs at the same time the files for those program may not be well scan due they are already in use and can't be access sometimes.

Now try to close those program and when making a scan open on the anti-virus software and also try to use different anti-virus program and they have different engine. Me I prefer to use McAfee Total Protection for me its the best try it and let me know if you have other problem.

3. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. :)

Anyone else have any comments? Most importantly, I'm wanting to know about scanning the Windows registry on a HDD connected via external USB HDD enclosure. :)

Thanks!

Peace...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/672914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice