1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about built-in memory card readers!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by angelicenigma, Dec 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. angelicenigma

angelicenigma Thread Starter

I have a compaq presario SR1811NX with built in memory card readers, anyhow when I stick my SD card into the MMC/SD reader slot this autoplay with a search light thing comes up then nothing happens... is it possibly because i am missing components for my computer? ... any thoughts?

2. insdick

insdick

Check your system components tree......look for conflicts.........if nothing there check your driver........have you deleted any files lately ?

3. slipe

slipe

If you are using XP the computer shouldn’t need anything else. Look in My Computer to see whether the card reader is showing as a drive – my internal card reader shows each type of card as a separate drive, but I don’t know whether they all do that. It should show as at least one drive though. With the card in the reader you should be able to click on the drive and then the folders to see the picture files.

If it is showing as a drive the searchlight probably means it is defaulted to open a certain program that is not currently on the computer. Right click on the drive > Properties > AutoPlay > Pictures > “Select an action to perform”. Pick something you want it to do. If you tell it to do nothing you can transfer the pictures directly from the drive. If you tell it to transfer the files using the wizard, the wizard will open when you insert the card and walk you through the download. Or you can have it open a program on the list and use the import function of that program. I prefer it to do nothing and take the files from the drive myself.

4. angelicenigma

i have drives G H I J that are removable drives, any idea how to tell which is which? all are 'unknown' so how do i know which one is for the MMC/SD ??

5. angelicenigma

sorry what the heck is the systems components tree? and what would i be looking for? (im not very umm... technical? lol)

6. slipe

slipe

On my machine the first drive is the MMC/SD. Insert the card and eliminate the search window with the flashlight. Then just left click on your drives to see which one has folders and pictures in them. The one containing folders and pictures is your SD drive.

Windows has no such thing as a “system components tree”. The closest thing to that description is “Device Manager”, and if your card readers are showing as drives in My Computer the problem most likely won’t be found in Device Manager.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/528632

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice