1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about Burning MP3's to a cd?

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Seaner, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Seaner

Seaner Thread Starter

I recently purchased a portable CD player that can read MP3's. However I dont' like the Sony software that came with it as it forces me to convert MP3's to atrac3 files which I don't prefer.

One thing I do like though is (since a CD can hold over 150 mp3s') is the ability to burn a group of MP3's (all jazz, then all rap, then all rock) so that I can easily navigate all those songs.

Question...if I use other software to burn the MP3's on to the CD can I still somehow organize all those songs and have the CD player recognize that organization? Or is that ability unique to the Sony software?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer.

Seaner
    Temecula, CA

2. clskrk

clskrk

It depends on the programming you have to work with, "Easy CD Creator" will put everything in alphabetical order, "Musicmatch Jukebox" will let you organize as you like.

3. Fyzbo

Fyzbo

I have a cd player and boombox that can both play mp3 cds. I use musicmatch jukebox and nero to burn the cds and organize them by having them in seperate folders. The players have had no problem with this. I will warn you though, musicmatch has the option to include a thumbnail of the album cover the the MP3s and they include this in the track tag, most portable players have trouble with this and see the first half of the song as corrupted.

4. knightime

knightime

Hey Seaner. Funny, but I had more or less the same sort of question regarding the software I use (Instant CD/DVD).

After some messin around I discovered that my software creates a virtual disc which you can add track data to. After even more messin around I realised that I had to create just 1 track on my virtual disc, opened that one track, and then copied my various MP3 folders to that 1 track. I emphasis the number 1 because I was under the impression, according to my CD MP3 player, that I had to create more than one track on a CD for it to read it fine. That is not the case. My player, and maybe yours, will only read the data on 1 track (including the folders or individual songs you copy to it).

I've gone MP3 bananas and am rippin my entire CD collection using the basic Musicmatch Jukebox, but using Instant CD/DVD to create my CD's. Just create the kind of folders you want and then drag and drop them to your 1 track. It works in my software and may work in one that you buy!

5. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Just remember, RIAA want's you to share so they can pay their lawyers....

6. Scotiagirl

Scotiagirl

What are you guys doing to get so many mp3/s on one CD, I can only get may be 21 or 22 if I am lucky... is there some sort of codec I should be using???

Would love for some hints, sites, or anything that would help me.. tks Chris

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have a player that plays MP3 files directly, you can record them with almost any CD recording software. They're simply data files when you record from MP3 to MP3 on the CD-R media, nothing more. You can put them in folders, etc. just as you would data files.

8. RSM123

RSM123

Scotiagirl - how big are the files you end up with ? And are they definitely MP3s not Windows Media Audio or some such.

I just put 146 tracks from various CDs on one CD without any problem. They vary in size from 3mb up to 9.2mb.

Also what program do you use to Burn ? I'm using Nero 6.0 which has a much more customised interface for new users - though it isn't really necessary.

In the event you for whatever reason cannot get it done with your existing software then you can download free or shareware utilities from here :

http://www.audiotools.co.uk

Perhaps you could try this :

http://www.bykeyword.com/pages/detail2/download-2665.html

9. Scotiagirl

Scotiagirl

most of my files are in the 5 mb range, the largest is 10.2 they are burned at 128 bit rate. I use Nero version 5.5.6
    so would it be that I am making them audio disks?? so they convert to a regular CD player??

Thanks for replying

10. RSM123

RSM123

Perhaps thats the reason I'm not sure. I know that MP3s will not play on my Home Stereo or CD Walkman ... they don't even acknowledge the presence of any disc, or just spin endlessly :)

Guess what I'm buying this weekend :D

As regards you getting the job done - make sure you get the option to burn an MP3 Disc. On my Nero 6 this is a particular option under Audio. Though I cannot recall if Nero 5 merely said Audio Disc.

Have you checked the file extensions ? Then have a look at my post above and check out the utilities converting the files if necessary.

If it is MP3s you already have then I'm not sure why you can only get such a small number on a CD. If they were all 6mb then you'd still get over 100 on one.:confused:

11. Scotiagirl

Scotiagirl

tks RSM will check it out, hopefully I can figure it out, although close to midnight here so have to go to beddy bye and get up at 6 in am.. will let you know.. thanks for your help

12. RSM123

RSM123

Its nearly 4am - but I'm only short so components recharge quicker.

Try Blaze Media Convertor if need be.

13. clskrk

clskrk

Using Jukebox, when you originally record from your CD to the H/D, it goes on as a WAV file. (A five min song will be about 7Mb)
    Depending on your O/S, it puts it in a folder somewhere.
    select everything and convert it to MP3.
    With Jukebox you can make a "playlist" to record from, so you can put song "M" first, song "G" seconed, song "T" next etc.
    When you open it to burn, it will come up first as a WAV, up at the top there's a box to click for MP3 format, and it will burn in the order you put it your list.
    Hope that helps, (it took me about 2 ~3 hrs. to do my first disc playing with it.)

The other night I got about 8 1/2 cd's recorded on one disc.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!