1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about buying a motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gamina, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gamina

gamina Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm looking for a new computer these days, and I need an advice for the motherboard. Actually I don't have much money, and I need a motherboard with an AGP slot (it will be better if it has a PCI-E either for further video card upgrade), supporting celeron-D cpu.
    Looking in the stores nearby I noticed this one:
    Asrock P4DUAL- 880 PRO - s.478, VIA PT880 Pro/ 8237R, HT, Prescott Ready, 800, 4xDDR400 Dual ch., PCI Express Graphics slot, AGP8x, Lan, sound, ...and so on
    It seems to have everything I need and it's kinda cheap (as it has a Via chipset). What can you advice me? I don't need excellent performance, only a working PC;) And what does "dual" means - do I have to buy dual channel RAM only?
    thanx a lot.

2. bigbear

bigbear

"Dual" in the model name means it supports either PCI ex or AGP graphics, also it supports dual ram technology which you will have to install in identical pairs.
    Use single if you don't want dual ram set up. See link for manual
    http://www.asrock.com/product/P4Dual-880Pro.htm

3. gamina

gamina Thread Starter

yeah, i visited the manunfacturer's site. I want to use 2x256 DDR400 - I guess this will be ok.
    thanx!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433502