1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about Comments in Excel 2003

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by krazeecrw, Jul 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. krazeecrw

krazeecrw Thread Starter

I am working on a spreadsheet of which I have added comments for about 100 cells. I want to change the font size to a larger type but do not want to have to click on each cell to change the font size. Is there a way to due multiple comments at once? Is there any way to change the default size setting for comments? (I know how to change the default for just normal cell font but cant find anything for comments)

I appreciate your help!

2. exegete

exegete

Try this:

Code:
    Sub test()

Dim cmt As Object
        For Each cmt In ActiveSheet.Comments
            cmt.Shape.TextFrame.Characters.Font.Size = 12
        Next cmt       
    End Sub

3. krazeecrw

krazeecrw Thread Starter

Well, it turns out that when you are sharing a workbook in Excel 2003, functionality becomes limited. Once you make a comment, it will not retain formatting information (except bold and italics). Another problem is if I make a comment, save the file and then go back into the comment, I cannot edit that previous comment!

Does anyone have any type of suggestions for a workaround for this? My manager will be using this spreadsheet constantly and needs the ability to edit comments not just add on. Would there be an easier way of sharing the workbook for multiple users but not using the Excel sharing feature?

4. exegete

exegete

Interesting, since I wrote the code above and tested using XL 2003, and it retained the formatting. However, I didn't share it.

5. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

I know this is a year-old thread but I thought I'd reply anyway since I had to deal with this on a friends computer recently. I remembered changing it in the past but that was many brain cell funerals ago and I couldn't remember how to do it. :rolleyes: But I found the answer in another post and thought I'd replay it here since it may help someone else out of the frustration of changing all those little size 8 font comments one comment at a time.

Comment FONT SIZE in Excel is formatted to the default setting for TOOL TIPS in XP. If you want your default font larger for comments go to CONTROL PANEL \ DISPLAY \ APPEARANCE \ ADVANCED and change the defaults for TOOLTIPS.

Castleheart :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice