Question about cores

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

justiceman34

Hi! How many threads is better in my situation:
using terragen. Shoudl i put use 4 threads, or more threads is better?

Use one thread per core. Using more than one thread per core will actually slow it down due to the overhead to switch between the two threads. One exception is if you have several processes that are actively using processor time. For example, 3 other processes plus one thread for this, each process will get 25%. Set Terragen to two threads, and each process gets 20%, but Terragen will actually get 40% due to using 2 threads. This only applies if the other processes are not idle, i.e., each thread shows 20% processor usage all the time.

So, if you have a dual processor system using two Quad core processors, use 8.

If you still have the 1.2 GHz Celeron listed in your specs, use 1.

HTH

Jerry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online