1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about cores

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by justiceman34, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justiceman34

justiceman34 Thread Starter

Hi! How many threads is better in my situation:
    using terragen. Shoudl i put use 4 threads, or more threads is better?

2. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Use one thread per core. Using more than one thread per core will actually slow it down due to the overhead to switch between the two threads. One exception is if you have several processes that are actively using processor time. For example, 3 other processes plus one thread for this, each process will get 25%. Set Terragen to two threads, and each process gets 20%, but Terragen will actually get 40% due to using 2 threads. This only applies if the other processes are not idle, i.e., each thread shows 20% processor usage all the time.

So, if you have a dual processor system using two Quad core processors, use 8.

If you still have the 1.2 GHz Celeron listed in your specs, use 1.

HTH

Jerry

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755285

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice