1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about Dell board and their form factor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alex Ethridge, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I'm looking at several Dell boards that I intend to use in a standard, ATX, non-Dell case. My question goes to their form factor and whether they will bolt into a standard ATX case. The boards are sold by AscendTech.us and are all marked "micro ATX".

Most of these boards come with a backing plate attached that will not be used.

My understanding is that ATX is ATX all day long and all ATX boards should bolt into ATX cases. But, I want to be sure before I order.

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=MB4DEL610DUNV

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=MB4DEL6Y414UNV

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=MB4DEL2300C

http://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.asp?ic=MB4DELDIMEN3000

If there are any other suggestions anyone has about these boards as compared with each other, please feel free to blast away.

2. steven1350

steven1350

Why on earth would you buy a Dell board? They are very famous for faulty capacitors, and they tend to break down after about a year or two of use...

3. Alex Ethridge

Because any Dell branded copy of Windows XP will load onto any of those Dell boards.

Because I already have a socket 478 processor.

Because they have built-in sound, network, video, etc.

Because they would make a fine game machine for a five-year-old.

Besides, I service Dell machines evey week and I don't see any more failures in Dell boards than I do in other brands.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

I agree with Alex . . I see more Dells than any other one brand and do not see high motherboard failure rate with them ( some of the Optiplex line was hit pretty hard with Counterfiet Capacitors )

Issues I can think of:

Dell uses propritary connectors a lot . . particularly on the front panel connections . . You would have to find a pinout diagram to know how to connect the front panel lines.

The configuration of the backing plate is unique . . You may not be able to find another that will fit, and the ones on it might not fit a standard case without some Dremmel work.

Dell used to use a proprietary power connection, but I think the "Modern" ones are standard so that a standard P/S can be used.

Hope this is helpfull . .

5. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the comments. So you think the bolt pattern is okay for a standard ATX case?

Proprietary Connectors: Yes, I know about that. I had to deal with it recently on a system where someone brought me a discarded Dell board to put into their system. We succeeded in determining which pins turned it on and off and then had to press F1 to continue when the board detected the front panel harness wasn't connected; but, that was no bog deal. It worked out okay.

Backing Plate: We just left out the backing plate that came with the case. There was a big rectangular hole; but, who looks at the back, anyway.

Power Connection: I don't know when Dell was caught with their hand in the cookie jar and had to straighten out that behavior; but, it was quite a few years ago. I don't think there are any P4 systems that suffer that malady.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

8. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

Wow....senerendipity NOT.

I recently fried my mobo in Optiplex GX620....not small form factor configuration within that line, posted exhaustively and learned things i otherwise never would. have...also debates about Dell boards and corrupt capafcitors in, i now think a significant few.

Alll of the above inavaluable....again, i hate broad brush dissing.....most of these boards are just fine......but issue of Dell restore disks working on their boards is HUGE.

If they fit, I think U R being very smart.

9. Alex Ethridge

Yup, that is a great plus about the Dell-branded OS installing on any board with a Dell BIOS.

10. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

Ditto Yup.(y)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/661753

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice