1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Mithrilhall, Dec 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall Thread Starter

I installed XP last night and was wondering how to get the normal 98 icons on the desktop for xp. I read in XP that the only icon that will be on the desktop upon installation is the recycle bin which was there. I created shortcuts to "My Computer", "Internet Explorer", and "Outlook Express" but was wondering how to put a short cut to "My Network Places"?

Also, how do you ad the shortcut bar that goes in the bottom taskbar, such as the one in Win98 that has the "Show Desktop" icon?

Thanks in advance,
    Mithrilhall

2. Dan O

Dan O

I think you are asking about the Quick Launch menu for the task bar. It is enabled by right clicking a bank space on the task bar, select Toolbars, and Quick Launch.

For desktop icons the simplest method to create them is click the Start menu buton, find the icon you want and drag and drop it onto the the desktop. You drag by a left click and holding down the mouse button, moving the pointer, and dropping it were you want by releasing the mouse button.

3. Mithrilhall

I just found what I was looking for on a website.

Add Familiar Icons back to your desktop
    ItÂ’s the case of the missing icons. Many of you may be wondering where all the icons from your desktop are in Windows XP? Well if you're like me, you like to have at least My Computer, My Network Places, and My Documents on the desktop.
    To do this: Right-click on the desktop, and then click Properties. Click the Desktop tab and then click on Customize Desktop. Put a check mark in the box next to My Document, My Computer, My Network Places, or Internet Explorer, to add those familiar icons to your desktop.

4. Dan O

Dan O

Thanks for sharing and as they say there are many ways to skin a cat, especially with Windows.

5. Mithrilhall

I agree totally. I had the hardest time in the world installing XP last night. I could not get it to install - every time I tried it said something like "C drive is corrupt" or "Files on C drive are corrupt" and would then give you only an option to exit the setup. I installed windows 98SE and did a scan disk and no errors what-so-ever.

It really had me scratching my head. I ended up taking my linux computer and disconnecting the HD and putting the Win 98SE hard drive in temporarily and installed XP on it (which worked fine) and then put the XP HD back into the original Tower/Motherboard and it worked. I still have no clue what the problem was. It might have been some of my hardware or my bios version but all seems to be working fine now.

Just thought I would share my troubles incase others come across them.

And thanks again.....
    Mithrilhall

6. Dan O

Dan O

That was a strange one.

I had lots of trouble getting a modem and a logon script to work with XP. I had to try 5 different modem to find one that worked. I drove the Best Buy people crazy returning modems to find one that worked. The one I got working was a USR modem from 3COM.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!