1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about Dialers

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by tom1007, Apr 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom1007

tom1007 Thread Starter

I recently had a dialer infect my computer but I deleted it. When the dialer started dialing i quickly shut down my pc to stop the process from continuing. The only niose that i heard was the basic sound of the internet logging on. (i have cable but a phone line's in my pc) I'am wondoring if i will have a huge phone bill at the end of the month? If anyone has an answer to this question it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In advance.

2. tom1007

tom1007 Thread Starter

Again an answer would be greatly appreciated.

3. winchester73

winchester73

Unless you have Internet phone service, there is no way the dialer could connect other than with the phone line ... I should think you would hear the normal modem chatter if the connection was attempted.

Have you removed the dialer yet?

Go here for the free Ad-Aware 6 Personal Build 181: http://www.lavasoft.de/support/download/

Launch the program ... on the start-up screen, you will need to first run the Webupdate Feature (globe at the top), or click "check for updates" to get the Reference File up to date.

Please use the Custom Scan with Memory and Both registry scans ON. Also.... make sure that you activate IN-DEPTH scanning before you proceed.

Then see that you have these options checked:
    Under Ad-aware 6 Settings, Scanning, Memory & Registry:
    "Scan My Hosts File" ...

Under Ad-Aware 6 Settings, Tweaks, Scanning Engine:
    "Unload recognized processes during scanning."
    Under Ad-Aware 6 Settings, Tweaks, Cleaning Engine:
    "Let Windows remove files in use after reboot."

Next ...

Run Ad-Aware 6.
    Mark the objects you wish to eliminate for removal. There are many options available with a right-click.
    Make a Quarantine only if you do not have the Auto-Quarantine option ON.
    Then choose "Next" to remove the chosen objects.
    Finally ... Reboot

Please read http://forums.techguy.org/t164245/s.html for further instructions, settings , etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!