1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about dual hard drives...

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by janragan, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janragan

janragan Thread Starter

My mother board finally died last week and rather than replace it on a 6 yr old system I bought a Dell refurb.... anyway, my question is can I do the following and where would I find info on how best to do it?
    The old computer had a 6 mo old 120g Seagate HD with W2KPro on it (plus all my 'stuff'). The newer one has a 40g drive and XPPro. I had the builder add the 120g to the system and it is as "E" drive. It is accessed through My Computer. Here's the problem... I have resisted changing from W2K but have decided that the XP probably is better at this point. What I would like to do is set up XP on the 120g as the primary, booting drive and use the 40g for back-up. I am not totally computer illiterate but wonder how complicated this will be. Naturally...I would like to save the old data and also transfer the new data with all the updates, etc., if it is possible and doesn't take a rocket scientist to do it :confused:
    I would also like to install my CD burner along with the one that came with the system. I have swapped one out before but never added one. I could use some help there as well.
    Thanks to anyone brave enough to help me tackle this...:eek:

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

First step is to backup all of the important data from the computer to another media like CD-R's, DVD, or thumb drive. Once this is done and then you can get the drives changed around so the 120 Gb is the main drive for drive C:\ and the 40 Gb is the other drive.

Here is an article that might help with the hard drive placement

Illustrated How to Replace a Hard Drive
    http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_hard.htm

After this all you have to do is make sure that both of the hard drives get formatted and then do a clean install of your windows XP.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/593786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice