1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about DVD RW disks

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tjmartin, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tjmartin

tjmartin Thread Starter

Hello all

I couldn't quite figure out what group to place this post. Anyways, just a question for all you computer/tech savvy people out there. Can anyone recommend a good brand of DVD RW disks to back stuff up on?

I only have a 120GB HD at the moment so I have been using Paragon software with DVD RW disks to back up my hard drive with. For the last year I have been using Maxell DVDRW's to do my backups with and have gone thru quite a few, due to disks going bad.

Am looking for a better brand of DVD RW's, so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi,
    Why not buy an external hard drive that plugs in like a USB stick (flash drive)? Much more reliable than DVD RWs. In the UK you can buy a 500gb one for about £50 ($75 or so). I think others in the USA have posted cheaper but good quality ones here before.

Richard.

3. paisanol69

paisanol69

...IMO, if you have already gone thru so many DVD RW's, then to me, it would seem logical that in the long run, it will be cheaper to purchase an external HD.

Additionally, there has been much information posted on the web, regarding the unreliability of CD/DVD media, with regards to how long the saved media will actually remain usable.(y)

Personally, if I was going to go through the trouble of backing up my data frequently, then I would want to be sure that when I needed a backup, it would actually function as it should.

4. pyritechips

pyritechips Gone but Never Forgotten

First Name:
    Jim
    I think this would best be served in the multimedia forum so I will move it over there.

5. stantley

stantley

I agree with 1002richards and paisanol69 that you should get an external hard drive to use for backups. They're easier, faster and cheaper to use than DVD's.

But if you want to use DVD's as an additional backup use DVD-R's instead of RW's, they last longer. And to answer your original question get Verbatim discs.

Here's some good information on the quality of DVD media: http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

6. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

As for reliability of the DVD's I have multiple PC's on which I burn DVD's and each one 'prefers' a different brand-so I don't think that any brand is really better than another, except with a specific PC. And to determine that you'd need to just try different brands.

I'm curious about how they 'went bad' though. I've had DVD's that will consistently fail on one PC but, being RW's I could erase them & use them successfully on a different one, indicating that the DVD didn't 'go bad' it simply became incompatible with that PC. (Which probably means that it did deteriorate some which I guess could be considered as going bad. Certainly it 'went bad' as far as the now-incompatible PC was concerned.)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!