1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about file sharing

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by starchild, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I really don't know where this fits- it's software related (I think) but could be security or web/internet.

On another board I'm on (not computer related) the topic of getting sued by the Recording Industry came up and someone stated no person has been sued for downloading music.

Someone else said that's not true, that people have been sued for this.

I once saw a webpage that listed email addresses of people who were being sued (or about to be) You could put your email address in to see if you were being watched for this.

The person who said nobody (no person) has been sued for downloading music (on file sharing networks) said "prove I'm wrong".

Of course, this might mean showing actual court papers of lawsuits, and maybe it's just been threats or fines- and not actual suiing?

I thought it was, I read once some "grandmother"had been sued, also.

Also, a group of college students,(at the start) but they might have downloaded it for some other reason, not personal use? so, they wouldn't be called "a person sued"?

Does anyone have any information about this?

I don't even care about the actual arguement going on about it, but just got to wondering, myself.

Maybe the recording industry was just threatening, as scare tactics?

Last I heard Kazaa (or one of them) was counter-suing the recording industry for using their software for something it wasn't intended for (against their terms of use) which was to track down users who were downloading their music.

What is the true and latest story about this?

Thanks,

Carrie

2. obi wan

obi wan

3. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

That's what I thought, too. I'll look over the links.

I think the person on the discussion board saying this is explaining what he said (about no one being sued for downloading music) as only people who are SHARING the copyrighted music (allowing it to be uploaded from them) are being sued and not anyone who is just downloading it.

But, if nobody shared it (offered it) no one else could download it.

A few people have been arguing this, and being told to show proof that anyone has been sued for DOWNLOADING copyrighted music.

it's too confusing for me to get into. Unless I can find proof that people who DOWNLOAD music have been sued on the links you gave :)

I had wondered what "the latest" is. I had an idea it would hurt the recording industry more by doing this (reputation-wise) than people getting some music for free.

Of course, I'm one who usually can't afford to buy a whole cd just to get one song I like.

~ Carrie

4. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I posted the links given here with information about the lawsuits for downloading and what I wrote (when I gave the links about it) and what the person who insists no one has been sued for this wrote:

Carrie wrote:
    > I asked on a computer tech board and was told YES, people who download
    > music have been and are being sued. High volume users and those who
    > only download a few songs (used as an example to scare others).
    >
    > They are being sued "for illegally downloading music." (copyrighted
    > music)
    >

Again, that is incorrect. I have read the lawsuits. Nobody has been sued for downloading.
    ----------------------------------------

Apparently there's a lot of misinformation going on. That story about the four college kids being sued for downloading music must be wrong, also.

I'm not going to put anymore energy into arguing about it.

I did ask where he had read all the lawsuits and if they are online.

Maybe he is right and the media stories are wrong.

~ Carrie

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216653

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice