1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about first build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by levi675, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. levi675

levi675 Thread Starter

I was wondering where (on the web) is the buest place to custom order a new system; I need to stay under $1300. I want to build an Athalon64 powered system, but I'm not as familiar with the specs needed for the 64 (memory, mobo chipsets ect) to build the system myself.

Here's what I've come up with so far (NewEgg and Tiger Direct didn't have what I wanted) http://www.xtechnology.com/scr/xtcat.dll/cOrder?Order=168025 http://www.xtechnology.com/scr/xtcat.dll/item?item=ATX-RM-822-BL&pr=0&opt=0& ($)1261)

This system has basically what I'm going for (lost the other one I thought was saved at cpusolutions.com); the sound card might be an Audigy 4, and the video card isn't set in stone. How much/what kind of memory is best for the 64? I'm building this to work with sound more than for video.

TIA for any feedback

2. norton850

norton850

Just a simple comment. The MB has onboard LAN.

3. levi675

levi675 Thread Starter

Yea, I think I noticed that, the site has an upgrade option

4. WarC

WarC

The PC3200(DDR 400) RAM that comes with the system in that link is pretty good, 512MB would be sufficient for audio editing. 1 gig might be just a little overkill unless you do a lot of gaming on the side or keep your system running for days at a time.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to think about. ECS is not noted as being a quality mb mfg. For an AMD build I use Soltek, Asus, or Abit. If you go 939 pin, get the new .09 mfg chips; they run cooler than the older .13 chips. The 939 boards use dual channel memory. If you want to take advantage of the dual channel, get two 256 chips or two 512 chips.

I assume the raidmax case comes with a raidmax ps. Again raidmax is not a quality mfg for ps.

6. WarC

WarC

Yeah, I'd stay away from raidmax/powmax powersupplies. They are cheap for a reason... *About half of the powmax powersupplies I've seen pass my hands have died on me within months @ work*

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'll make some comments...

1). ECS is not a respected manufacturer and their products are not of the highest quality. Asus, ABit, Epox,MSI are better choices.

2). If you decide to play games the FX5700LE isn't very good. If that'll never happen then its fine.

3). Do you need two optical drives? You might want them if you get into copying CD's or not.

4). Make sure both the motherboard and CPU are the same socket. The 64's come in 754 and 939 flavours. If you want the best upgradeability go with the socket 939 as AMD plans to keep this line and the future of the 754's is unsure. You motherbaord is 754 and it doesn't mention what the CPU is.

5). If you going to work with sound then you should definitely consider something like an Audigy card. The onboard sound is OK but the Audigy will provide better quality, performance, and a larger variety of inputs and outputs. An Audigy 4 might be better for you then an Audigy 2 but I guess that'll really depend on your use.

6). RAM, if you buy a motherboard that supports Dual Channel RAM you can buy two sticks of 512MB RAM to get much better performance. However this is pretty much only a feature on Socket 939 motherboards where the CPU has the Dual Memory Controller. Make sure the RAM is good quality and not some cheap stuff.

7). The CPU heatsink may not be for a AMD 64, and if it is then it doesn't look very good at all.

8). You can pick up a WD 120GB drive at Newegg.com for about $20 less, I'm sure you can do better on all the prices with a little shopping around.

9). Lastly, that site is put together pretty badly. They don't provide all the specs and even crewed up the brands on some time things, like the motherboard. Its an ECS motherbaord but its says Gigabyte as manufacturer. The picture of the RAM is from Crucial but is that who's its from and are they allowed to y=use their picture? They also mention the RAM speed as 400 in spot and 444Mhz another. The description of the CPU fan says its for Socket A/370 and thats what it looks liek yet the model states its for a 64 but not even which one or what speeds its good for.

My suggestion is to buy your parts elsewhere.

8. WarC

WarC

Now that you mention it Triple6, I'm clicking some of the links and there is some pretty questionable stuff on there.

The pic for the CPU cooler is a reference AMD Thunderbird HSF if I'm not mistaken, heh.

9. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Case is micro ATX and motherboard is ATX.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not sure, that might be another typo.

11. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Most likely lol, I haven't seen a mid tower case that only supports micro ATX... but then I haven't really searched for one.

12. levi675

levi675 Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for all your help, specially Triple 6, wise as always.
    I was going to get a Audigy 2 or 4 for sound, and I'd forgot about ECS, I've avoided them in the past.
    I will put this info to good use and update later

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325406

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice