Question about FlashDrives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Giant Octopus

Hi I was just wondering.
I have a whole bunch of DVD-Roms that I burned pictures and videos onto through the years. I wanted to move them over to Scandisk flashdrives so I can get rid of them. (Years ago I moved all the data from CD-Roms to the DVD-Roms then threw the CD-Roms away.)
I wanted to do that again but by moving the data from the DVD-Roms to the flashdrives. My question is, is the longevity of these flash drives better than the DVD-Roms? After I move all my data to these drives, if I come back to them 8 years from now will the data still be there? I get the feeling that DVD-Roms will physically deteriorate over time (especially writable ones), so this is why I wanted to move everything over, plus I don't want to have boxes of disks anymore.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If you have several years worth of photos and videos that are very important and irreplaceable, you should have at least 2 backup copies of them.

You didn't say how many DVD's you have, so it may be more feasible to have 1 backup copy in an external USB hard drive.

USB flash/thumb drives are too easy to damage or get lost, so I wouldn't recommend using that media as an only backup copy.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Johnny b

John
I agree with Frank.

USB flash drives are best for transfers. I have had several fail over the period of several years.
Writable DVD's do fail over time and I've seen that also, so I don't use them for backups any more. ( not enough storage space anyway )

I backup my photos and financial data to several external hard drives. I do periodically rotate backups on encrypted usb flash drives that I keep in a safety deposit box and elsewhere.

Also remember, new technologies come and old ones go. Be sure to be backed up to a media that isn't on the way out and formats that are current.

I agree with the others that USB flash drives are too easy to get lost or thrown away by accident. Portable HDDs are the way to go. Get 2 or 3 for cheap online and put one in a safety deposit box and the rest clearly labeled in other places. Spinning drives won't be outdated anytime soon.

Johnny b

John
Not tomorrow, but tech changes up as needs and uses dictate.
It's just a matter of time :)

Floppies....gone.

IDE hard drives need IDE ports, and they're gone.

SATA will be under pressure as M2 'drive' storage eventually becomes universal.

Hi I was just wondering.
I have a whole bunch of DVD-Roms that I burned pictures and videos onto through the years. I wanted to move them over to Scandisk flashdrives so I can get rid of them. (Years ago I moved all the data from CD-Roms to the DVD-Roms then threw the CD-Roms away.)
I wanted to do that again but by moving the data from the DVD-Roms to the flashdrives. My question is, is the longevity of these flash drives better than the DVD-Roms? After I move all my data to these drives, if I come back to them 8 years from now will the data still be there? I get the feeling that DVD-Roms will physically deteriorate over time (especially writable ones), so this is why I wanted to move everything over, plus I don't want to have boxes of disks anymore.
Flash drives are more convenient than DVD's but the DVD's are more reliable for long term storage. That's why I use both. Once per year I make a set of DVD data backups and multiple times during the year I backup to USB Flash drives. That gives me 2 backups. Then I do an additional backup to an external hard drive which gives me a 3rd backup.

If your data is important to you, never ever rely upon just one backup.

--pete--

RT

Just curious as to whether an online back up service, such as Carbonite etc., might be useful for the long term?

RT

I do see the need for multiple back up strategies :cool:
Didn't mean to disrupt the thread.

Johnny b

John
I think you brought up an important question.
IMO, too many think the 'cloud' is infallible.

Giant Octopus

So I guess I should back them up on Flashdrives but keep the discs? I was thinking of getting an external hard drive but I'm worried they wont work for future computers. What happens if I by a new computer that has "Windows 13" years from now but when I hook the hard drive to it, it wont read that data?

Also Simeon could you recommend a good brand for an HDD?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
So I guess I should back them up on Flashdrives but keep the discs?
Having your original backup on DVD's and a second backup on USB thumb drives would be the simplest way for you to do it.
What happens if I by a new computer that has "Windows 13" years from now but when I hook the hard drive to it, it wont read that data?
According to Microsoft, Windows 10 is the last version.
There will be no Windows 11, 12, 13, etc..

----------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online