1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about formatting a second hard drive to serve as a storage drive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by starwolf39, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starwolf39

starwolf39 Thread Starter

So I've got one 80GB drive that I use to store my Windows XP operating systems, all my programs, games, etc.

I also have an 180GB drive that I want to partition into possibly 3 drives, one for music, another for movies, and another for game installation files.

My question is, what exactly do I format the 3 partitions as? Extended, logical, primary, I have no idea which will make the drives stay "available." The problem is that once I finished partitioning the drives the first time, the next day the last 2 partitions became unavilable.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. brianF

brianF

3. starwolf39

That didn't help me.

I know HOW to format a disk using Partition Magic 8.0, but the problem is I don't know which type of partition to format each section to. The whole logical, extended, primary, etc. thing has confused me to the point where when I format the disk and partition it the last 2 partitions become corrupt and unreadable after a day.

4. brianF

brianF

You don't want primary. You should create an extended partition for the whole thing, once that's done, you create logical partitons within the extended partition until you have used all the space.
    So you would create an extended partition for the whole drive, then select the extended partition and create logical partitions within it to the sizes you want

5. starwolf39

OK, thanks very much. That's really all I needed to know.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice