1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about GPU vs Memory

Discussion in 'Games' started by macthemost, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. macthemost

macthemost Thread Starter

Hey guys,

I have been playing a new video game (Escape from Tarkov) on a gaming laptop with a Sandisk 480 SSD, a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765 graphics processing unit and 8 GB of memory. The SSD is about 4-5 months old, however the GPU is about 4-5 years old.

When I play the game I check my performance in task manager on my second monitor and the GPU tab says the 3D graphics are maxed out at 100% and the memory usage tab says it's at about 90%. The GPU tab also says that I require 1.9GB of the 2.0 GB of dedicated GPU memory and rarely does it utilize any of the 4.0 GB of shared GPU memory.

My question for you guys is would I see any improvement in frame rate if I upgraded to 16 GB of memory? I can't afford a new computer at this time, but I know most people play using 16 GB not 8 GB and I'm wondering if that would help.

tl;dr: Would upgrading my laptop with 8 GB memory to 16 GB of memory help me run my new game even though my GPU's 3D graph is maxed out at 100% when I run the game?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What exact laptop is it ?

3. macthemost

It's an ASUS ROG laptop purchase in 2014
    System Model: G750JW

4. macthemost

plz halp :<

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ASUS ROG G750JW (support site)

This appears to be the Intel processor and NVIDIA graphic device that come in that laptop:

Clipboard.jpg

That laptop supports up to 32 GB of DDR3L-1600 RAM.
    Since you're using it for gaming, adding another 8 GB to the 8 GB that's currently in it might be a good idea.

That laptop originally came with Windows 8 64-bit, but you didn't say which Windows version is currently running in it.
    We also don't know how well you maintain it and what's installed and running in it, so that can have a big effect on speed and performance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

macthemost likes this.
  6. macthemost

Thank you for your assistance (as well as your service) flavallee. I went into best buy and they suggested that the following stick of ram would be the type that would not fry my laptop:
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pny-16...ktop-memory-kit-black/5429124.p?skuId=5429124
    Is it possible for one of you to find me a more affordable option on amazon or newegg? I would just look myself, but I am concerned that I will purchase the wrong stick and break my laptop.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Whoever at "Best Buy" recommended you purchase that RAM kit for your laptop should be prevented from working in the computer department.
    Besides its expensive price, DIMM modules are designed for a desktop/tower and not for a laptop.
    SODIMM modules are what you need.
    Depending on whether you need 1 - 8 GB module or 2 - 8 GB modules, THIS or THIS should work okay in your laptop.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1209330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice