1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about Hard-drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blazncheetah, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blazncheetah

Blazncheetah Thread Starter

I currently have a 5gb hard-drive I'm buying a 120gb hard-drive
    I want to copy all the information (including registry stuffs) I have from my old one to my new one, is there an easy way to do this?
    Can I just like copy and paste? or do I need to do it with some kind of software?

2. alicedonut

alicedonut

Your new hard drive will most likely come with the software to copy your old drive onto the new drive.

3. compilerxp

compilerxp

I've yet to see any HD come with tools to copy data from a previous drive. They come with tools for testing or setting up the drive.

But... can the poster's computer handle a 120GB drive?

The program GHOST from Symantec will copy a drive to another... or there are some others avaiable at CompUSA for 30~50. There is a tool on the net called "HDCOPY" that works pretty good - its free. It was on downloads.com, but not anymore.

4. alicedonut

alicedonut

Western Digital includes drive copy with their installation software. Maxtor does as well unless they've recently discontinued it.

5. raybro

raybro

In case there is no copy utility with your new drive, here is a link to Maxtor's site where you can download the utility to do it.

http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast3.htm

Be sure to read the instructions on the site about how to use the download.

BTW... This utility will work with any brand hard drive. :cool:

6. compilerxp

compilerxp

WOW... I didn't know that...

I'm used to there only being drive tools for repair and RMA...

Thanks, very good to know.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "But... can the poster's computer handle a 120GB drive?"

Since no further comment was made on this I wish to bring it up.

5Gb to 120Gb is a huge jump, what if the BIOS fails to recognise the drive correctly? You could possibly manually setup the C/H/S and use drive overlay software but thats messy. What motherboard do you have?

As for the software, I've only once installed a retail drive - it was maxtor that came with a CD full of goodies for just about everything. All the rest were OEM's drives - nothing included, but you can download the utilities from the site - ie. http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast3.htm

8. Blazncheetah

I've had a 60gb hard-drive before it "died" so it should be able to handle it

I bought a Western Digital hardrive OEM from newegg
    When I used the utility you told me to download, after everything loaded they said the drive detected as not a Maxtor and the software is only compatible with maxtor drives only

9. raybro

raybro

Sorry about that Blazncheetah... I have used the Maxtor diagnostic utility on many different brands of drives, so I just assumed the copy utility would also work on any brand. Bad assumption. :rolleyes:

MY BAD.. :(

As an effort at atonement, here is a link to WD's utility: :D

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#dlgtools

You will be wanting Data LifeGuard Tools v.11.0

10. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I just picked up a new Maxtor drive for a computer I have here. I booted their CD and followed the prompts to copy the old 8gig drive to the new 80gig drive, allocating 16gig for the O/S in the process. The resultant drive was NOT bootable, and appeared to be scrambled, I was somewhat disappointed. :( I fired up GHOST 2003 and did the copy, and XP is singing over there as I type. :D I'm bummed that the Maxtor software didn't work this time...

11. Blazncheetah

Thanks raybro!
    Everything is working fine now!
    In fact now that I have my new hard-drive, I'm kind of creeped out by the lack of noise my computer makes now... My old hard-drive was one of those really loud ones, so loud I couldn't sleep with the computer on
    Now I cant hear anything
    Very Very scary

12. raybro

raybro

VERY pleased it worked out. :D :D

Hate it when I give bad advice. Been there myself know how it feels. Really appreciate the opportunity for correcting a bad moment. Us old guys can always hide behind the senior moment scenario (more commonly know as a brain fart), or more likely just not giving something the attention it deserves.

Anyway, things appear to have worked out OK and that's what it's all about. Glad I could be of some help.(y) :cool:

BTW... Quiet is good. :)

13. compilerxp

compilerxp

Yeah... manufactures don't like to share their toys with others. You have to get the "PRO" version of the software to work with all drives.... but for that price, get GHOST.

Blazncheetah... heheh Yeah, today's Maxtor drives are pretty much SILENT. My AMD system is less noisy than my P3 setup (3 case fans vs 1).

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice