Question about Hard-drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Blazncheetah

I currently have a 5gb hard-drive I'm buying a 120gb hard-drive
I want to copy all the information (including registry stuffs) I have from my old one to my new one, is there an easy way to do this?
Can I just like copy and paste? or do I need to do it with some kind of software?

Your new hard drive will most likely come with the software to copy your old drive onto the new drive.

I've yet to see any HD come with tools to copy data from a previous drive. They come with tools for testing or setting up the drive.

But... can the poster's computer handle a 120GB drive?

The program GHOST from Symantec will copy a drive to another... or there are some others avaiable at CompUSA for 30~50. There is a tool on the net called "HDCOPY" that works pretty good - its free. It was on downloads.com, but not anymore.

Western Digital includes drive copy with their installation software. Maxtor does as well unless they've recently discontinued it.

WOW... I didn't know that...

I'm used to there only being drive tools for repair and RMA...

Thanks, very good to know.

Triple6

First Name
Rob
"But... can the poster's computer handle a 120GB drive?"

Since no further comment was made on this I wish to bring it up.

5Gb to 120Gb is a huge jump, what if the BIOS fails to recognise the drive correctly? You could possibly manually setup the C/H/S and use drive overlay software but thats messy. What motherboard do you have?

As for the software, I've only once installed a retail drive - it was maxtor that came with a CD full of goodies for just about everything. All the rest were OEM's drives - nothing included, but you can download the utilities from the site - ie. http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/maxblast3.htm

Blazncheetah

I've had a 60gb hard-drive before it "died" so it should be able to handle it

I bought a Western Digital hardrive OEM from newegg
When I used the utility you told me to download, after everything loaded they said the drive detected as not a Maxtor and the software is only compatible with maxtor drives only

Sorry about that Blazncheetah... I have used the Maxtor diagnostic utility on many different brands of drives, so I just assumed the copy utility would also work on any brand. Bad assumption. :rolleyes:

MY BAD.. :(

As an effort at atonement, here is a link to WD's utility: :D

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp#dlgtools

You will be wanting Data LifeGuard Tools v.11.0

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
FWIW, I just picked up a new Maxtor drive for a computer I have here. I booted their CD and followed the prompts to copy the old 8gig drive to the new 80gig drive, allocating 16gig for the O/S in the process. The resultant drive was NOT bootable, and appeared to be scrambled, I was somewhat disappointed. :( I fired up GHOST 2003 and did the copy, and XP is singing over there as I type. :D I'm bummed that the Maxtor software didn't work this time...

Blazncheetah

Thanks raybro!
Everything is working fine now!
In fact now that I have my new hard-drive, I'm kind of creeped out by the lack of noise my computer makes now... My old hard-drive was one of those really loud ones, so loud I couldn't sleep with the computer on
Now I cant hear anything
Very Very scary

VERY pleased it worked out. :D :D

Hate it when I give bad advice. Been there myself know how it feels. Really appreciate the opportunity for correcting a bad moment. Us old guys can always hide behind the senior moment scenario (more commonly know as a brain fart), or more likely just not giving something the attention it deserves.

Anyway, things appear to have worked out OK and that's what it's all about. Glad I could be of some help.(y) :cool:

BTW... Quiet is good. :)

Yeah... manufactures don't like to share their toys with others. You have to get the "PRO" version of the software to work with all drives.... but for that price, get GHOST.

Blazncheetah... heheh Yeah, today's Maxtor drives are pretty much SILENT. My AMD system is less noisy than my P3 setup (3 case fans vs 1).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online