1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about installing crossover for Linux

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by carlynn, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carlynn

carlynn Thread Starter

Has anyone had any experience installing crossover on Linux. I am using Zorin 5 and I can not install it. I have used every command shown in the instructions for installing on Linux and none of them will work.

Would appreciate it if anyone has any answers for me.

Thanks

2. jparshall

jparshall

Not to be snarky, but why not just ask CodeWeavers' support folks? Our elite ninjas simply *live* to answer questions like how to install our product under Zorin 5, which appears to be a Debian-based distro and should work. Ninja Jack, in particular, is our Linux distro guy. So go here and post a ticket: http://www.codeweavers.com/support/tickets/browse/

Cheers,

-jon parshall-
    COO
    www.codeweavers.com

3. carlynn

carlynn Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply but the support system will not let me ask questions as I have not purchased the product yet. I have downloaded the demo and I am trying to get it installed. I will buy it if I can get it installed and then see if my programs will work in it.

I have the file and when I double click it it gives me a list of programs to use to open it but none of them will open it. I looked and I have the dpkg tool installed but it is not on the list available to open the file with. I don't know how to get to the dpkg tool to use it.
    That is the instructions that codeweavers have on there site, or you can install from your distros pkg manager which I don't know where that is either.

I guess there support is made for people who already bought it and not for the demo.

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

What exactly are you trying to run with Crossover?

5. carlynn

carlynn Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. First I am trying to install it and I don't know how to do it. Just read the above post and it will tell you what I need to find out.

I want to install it to see if I can run Paint Shop Pro and HTML Kit for editing HTML pages. Those are the only 2 programs I need to be able to rid of windows.

I really like the zorin 5 so far and it has everything else I need. I know I can use Kompozer and Gimp but I spent a lot of classes and lessons to learn Paint shop so I don't want to have to learn another 2 new programs after dedicating so much time to learn those.

Carlynn

6. jparshall

jparshall

Actually, if you send that in to our Info queue (or just email [email protected]) chances are you'll still get an answer. Pre-sales support is not a problem, although I don't have any information on those applications.

Cheers,

-jon-

7. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

8. DVOM

DVOM

What's the name of the file you're trying to install? Crossover has a couple of different file formats, for Zorin you probably should use the xxx.deb file as it's for Ubuntu and Ubuntu derivatives. AFAIK Zorin is a Ubuntu derivative.

And have you tried "wine" yet? It's probably available in Zorin's repositories and might run both of your programs.

9. carlynn

carlynn Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. I have researched and I have found out that paint shop and html kit will not work on wine. It is already intalled on zorin but they list the programs that will work with it and mine are not on the list.

I am surprised that paint shop pro is not on the list as it is a very popular program.

I have been in contact with the people at crossover and every command they have given me will not work to open this bin file I have for crossover. It is the demo I have downloaded.

The file name is install-crossover-standard-demo-10.1.0.bin

When I either right click on the file or double click I get open with and there is a list of programs there but I know none of them will open the file.

I have tried at least 50 commands in the terminal from the list from crossover plus all the searching I have done on the internet and nothing will open and install this file.

Linux if fine if you get a program from there software center but it is not for people who have never used Linux before and want to install something from the outside, that is unless you are more experienced with linux than I am.

I really like zorin and I want to keep it but I guess I will have to keep my windows just to run my 2 programs I can not part with.

10. DVOM

DVOM

You should redownload the file and get the one for Debian/Ubuntu. It will have a ".deb" extension rather than the ".bin" extension. That should then open with "gdebi' file installer.

And as for the list of wine compatible programs, there's lots more programs that will run on wine than are on the list. I never consult the list before I try a new program. They either install and run fine or they don't. It's not a big deal.

11. DVOM

DVOM

Just so ya know, Zorin is a Debian/Ubuntu derivative. So when researching how to do something, look for how to do it in Ubuntu. There's lots more info on Ubuntu and it'll nearly always be accurate for Zorin.

For instance, for your problem, I would google "ubuntu install bin file". That would get your bin file installed.

However, like I said, you're better off getting the "deb" file for Zorin.

Edit: Also, when downloading any file, if they offer one specifically for Ubuntu, go with that one.

12. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

This is one of the things that virtual machines are for. You can have your Linux, AND your Windows...simultaneously.

13. carlynn

carlynn Thread Starter

I will try that and get the other file for crossover. I do not remember when I downloaded the trial if you got to choose if you can get the bin or the deb file.

Getting back to wine, I went to try and see if I can install my Paint shop pro and I come with the list of what is available. What do you do then to try and install when it is not on the list. I have the cd of paint shop and the file for HTML kit is just a windows file I have saved from download as it is a free program.

Can you offer me some advice on how to get paint installed as I don't see any other place to go when it is not on the list.

This is my first encounter with Linux so I am pretty new to installing. I really do like it though and I want to keep it. I also ordered Mint 12 and want to try that also as I read it is good.

14. DVOM

DVOM

I've never installed into wine off of a CD, however you should be able to "explore" the CD, then locate the setup exe file and right click and "open with wine".

That'll start the installation.

Edit: If you run into any "permission" problems, or anything else, it might help to copy the entire CD to your hard drive then install it.

15. carlynn

carlynn Thread Starter

Hi:

Just wanted to let you know I tried putting the cd of Paint shop on the computer and it did not recognize the cd at all.
    It is an actual cd from Corel with the program on it.

I then put another cd in with some books I had on it and it opened right away and there was a cd on the desktop and all the contents were there.

Do you think if I want to install something and it has an exe. file that linux will open it. I guess I thought it would not open or install those kinds of files.

I have not tried the crossover yet as I am waiting to put it on another computer when I have it ready.

Thank you for all your help.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026868

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice