1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about installing Irfanview?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Armonijones, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armonijones

Armonijones Thread Starter

Hi again Guys.....I know this seems like a Stupid Question.....BUT...What is Required to Down Load The Irfanview Program.
    By that I Mean....When I went to Down Load the First part ..it asks me a Few Questions like...Do you want to Run this Program....Or Do I just Save it?
    What is the Difference?
    And it also asks me if I want it to Tie it into other Programs that I have on my Computer...Or if I just want to Install the Imagining Portion of it....Or, None of it.....What is the correct installation Procedure for this Program?
    Thanks again for any Help, that you can send my Way.

2. Telstar

Telstar

Hi Armonijones,

I'll go through the steps one-by-one the way I might load a new Program (others may have differing opinions of course...e.g. could be installed to Desktop).

1) First of all, create a new Directory (Folder) to install to....
    Go to your Windows Explorer....find C:\Program Files...click on (highlight) Program Files and go up to the top of the window to File>New>and click on Folder.
    The new (unnamed) Folder will appear at the end of all the other Folders there and you can Rename it (right-click>Rename) e.g. "IrfanView" or whatever you like.

2) Now after downloading, when asked, click on "Save" (not Open) and in "Save-in" click on the Browse button and go to your new Folder and click Save.
    You will see a download progress display and should get a confirmation of a completed download.

Download the Plug-ins (irfanview_plugins_392.exe) the same way.
    You now have in that Folder iview392.exe and irfanview_plugins_392.exe
    Your Downloads are in their own Folder and ready to install.

3) Now, once the files are downloaded go to your new Folder, click on irfanview_plugins_392.exe and your plugins will install into that Folder....you don't have to do anything else with them.

4) Now, double-click on irfanview.exe to install the Program.

After confirmation of the successful installation you will end up with IrfanView entries in your ‘Start menu’ and an Icon on your desktop.
    You can use either to launch the Program.
    (I usually click on the Desktop Icon to start Irfanview or as you will find out, by clicking on an associated image file (a photo), IrfanView will open)

5) The program will open. You can accept all the Default choices (for now, don't change any).

An Association Window will open, and later you can go to IrfanView>Options>Properties>Extensions tab. Here you can select for IrfanView to associate (Open With) any or all of the extensions. Means that, for example if you have them all checked then any file you click on with any of those "checked" extensions will open, by default, in IrfanView (if you have a Video Viewer like VideoLan or BS Player you may only want to associate "Images Only").

You may wish to only choose the "Images Only" button on the right so that any image file will use IrfanView. You may just simply select .jpg and .png and have IrfanView open just those. The choice is yours.

The best thing now would be to go to the IrfanView Toolbar and click on Help then IrfanView Help then Contents and read through that...those are your basic instructions.
    There's also an FAQ there.

(I'll make another reply to take you through how to resize a Photo if you need it...this one has turned out to be lengthy....I can be rather long-winded at times..lol).

Hope this helps,

Telstar :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice