Question about Ip numbers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Giant Octopus

Hi. Just a curiosity question.
I just noticed that when I check my IP number with Firefox it gives me a completely different number than when i check with IE. Not only that it gives me a different country!!
I just want to know why that is. Why I'm getting 2 different numbers/locations with 2 diffrent browsers.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
I want to know how you "check my IP number" with a browser.

Are you sure that you are not using web site(s) to check your public IP address, and to determine the location? If you are, you may be using different sites (services) with the different browsers, which would explain the location discrepancy. But, with the info given, I cannot even guess why you'd get different IP addresses. Maybe you are using a proxy server with one browser, but not the other?

Giant Octopus

Just a google search. I go to google and type in "whats my IP number". When i do it through Firefox it gives me one number (and location) but when I do it with IE it gives me another number and location!

Could it be because I have my wired modem synched up to a router?

Within Firefox if you go to Menu > Options > Advanced > Network tab > click Settings > default should be "Use system proxy settings"

Or try starting Firefox in safe mode. Close FF then hold the Shift key and double click on Firefox icon, when prompted click Start in Safe Mode. Check the IP again.

TerryNet

First Name
Terry
Could it be because I have my wired modem synched up to a router?
It could be because in one browser you are using a proxy server and in the other browser you are using a different proxy or no proxy.

Giant Octopus

I just wanted to add that when I use my tablet (after I hook my modem up to my router so i can get a wireless signal) I get the same IP number as when I use Firefox. (I use Google Chrome on my tablet).

Are you referring to an IP like 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x maybe even 172.16.x.x?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online