1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about ISP Upload and Download Speeds

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Awizarddidit, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awizarddidit

Awizarddidit Thread Starter

I have a question about my ISP upload speed at work. We have 3 T1 connections from shaw business solutions that guarantee 1.5 megs up and down for us. (Yes it is actually guaranteed) If I do a speed test I am getting the 1.5megs up and down results.....shouldn't I be getting roughly three times that or is my bandwidth three times as wide but all the same speed? Thanks for the clairification. If it is infact my bandwidth how do i measure that as well?

2. Awizarddidit

Awizarddidit Thread Starter

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Bump after about a day, per the guidelines, brings your thread back to the front of the list where it is more likely to be seen by potential responders. Bump after 1 1/2 hours and all you do is annoy those potential responders.

Bandwidth and speed (in this context) are the same thing.

You've told us nothing about the network configuration, so I doubt anybody will be able to give a definitive answer. My guess would be that the network is configured to spread the load over those 3 T1 lines. Even with all other computers shut down any one computer would be using only one line, giving the results you measured.

If your network is somehow configured that one computer can use all three lines simultaneously then you should be seeing higher bandwidth/speed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/773696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice