1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about laptop power connector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deshka, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deshka

Deshka Thread Starter

Hi there! :) I've checked the forums and I'm not sure where this topic would fit so I thought this forum was most fitting? If not, please move it of course but my question is related to a broken power connector on my laptop.

I know this is the problem, as I have tried 3 different working charger/adapters and neither of them work, plus I heard a snap when I plugged it in a few days ago, prior to me noticing that a) the cord does not go into the jack as smoothly as normal and the battery is not charging when it is plugged in. Also, my laptop is fairly new.

It says 'plugged in, not charging' and is currently at 4%. I keep it very still on a table so to not let it go lower but I was wondering what would happen if the battery went to 0%. At the moment, the message I receive when I unplug the laptop while using it, is that if I do not find a power source, the laptop will go into hibernation mode. As soon as I plug it in, it returns to normal mode, only still 'not charging.' I must bring my laptop out to work on it and I am concerned if it gets down to 0% - will it still work the same at that level if plugged in, even if not charging?

I hope my question is clear. If not, please ask any questions you may have. I cannot afford to replace the connector jack at the moment and definitely cannot afford to lose use of my laptop.

Thanks so much!
    Jessica

2. dotty999

dotty999

First Name:
    Dotty
    if your laptop is new do you have a warranty Jessica? I don't use my laptop with the battery, just the power lead

3. Deshka

Deshka Thread Starter

There was a 1 year warranty, just expired.

4. dotty999

dotty999

First Name:
    Dotty
    are you saying your power lead doesn't work either? if that's the case the jack must be damaged on the laptop and you'd probably have to take it to a repair shop unfortunately

5. Deshka

Deshka Thread Starter

The power connector in my laptop is broken, my question is would I be able to use the computer even if the battery drained, as long as plugged in? There is power when plugged in, but the battery is now at 4% as when it was unplugged it went down to 4%. "Plugged in, not charging" is the message I see when I click on the battery icon. :)

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Check if it works with the battery removed but still plugged in.

7. dotty999

dotty999

First Name:
    Dotty

if the power connector is broken and you can't access the internet then you can't charge your battery

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1124936

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice