1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about Mirror HD RAID setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ettie, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ettie

ettie Thread Starter

Hi,

I’m currently running a single PC that handles my small retail store operations and I’m feeling vulnerable to a possible hard drive crash that would put a halt to my business for a day or three while I get a replacement and restore all data. I believe the best solution would be to run a dual mirror drive so I could seamlessly switch over if one drive failed, without missing a beat. Am I correct that this would be the best solution to address my concerns?

Next, the PC I’m currently running is a HP rp5000 and I’m told that this model does not support a RAID configuration that would allow me to add a mirrored hard drive. I’m being told I need to buy a new PC with a dual drive (RAID1) configuration which will cost me between $1000 - $1300. Is this true that my current computer can’t be configured to run a dual drive and are there any less expensive work-a-rounds anyone can suggest?

Thanks!

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Mirror raid would definitley be useful. Bear in mind that it only helps against drive failure, not against viruses etc. I assume you woul dalso back up to an external on a daily/weekly basis, in case ofcatastrophic failure.

as far as setting RAID up goes, not sure exactly on your specs, but you should br able to get a raid card- think they run around 20-40 dollars, but not sure. Certainly not too much. It plugs into an expansion port and allows you to plug drives into it, exactly as if it was going to the mobo. The card then allows raid, although it will need rivers- al supplied and not a problem.

If you go that way, and dont feel confident, probably worth considering getting someone to do it for you. That way at least you know it will be done correctly and give you what you need.

Checled your spec, and seems you have free pci slots. Suggest that one of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...r=BESTMATCH&Description=PCI+raid+card&x=0&y=0

Would probably be suitable, but check first.

Hope its useful :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/976125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice