Question About Monitor

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kikit

i HAVE A 17" CRT monitor. I'm nnoticing lately that the display (print) onscreen is very fuzzy. I have adjusted the Accessibility tool as best I can in order to make the print larger and easier to read for my bad eyesight.. Still all the print (with the exception of super large fonts or bolded type on web sites) is fuzzy and blurred to me. I'm having to put my face very close to the screen to make out the letters. It's becoming increasingly irritating to use my computer because I can't read easily or see what I'm typing clearly.

I just got a new PC last month, but I didn't replace my monitor to go with the new computer. The old monitor I'm speaking of here is the CRT I've had since 1999.

Do the screens get blurred with age or is the problem solely the fault of my aging eyes?

My question is: Does my fuzzy display problem sound like I need to get a new monitor? I'm thinking about a 17" flat panel instead of another CRT. ( I've read that the flat screens have much better clarity than CRT's.) Or do you think it would be a waste of money replaing the monitor? Any feedback or suggestions?

Thank you.

It sounds as if the focus control needs adjusting on your CRT monitor, but these are not always an external user accessible control.

They are part of the EHT section which operates at 25,000 volts, so you have to know what you are doing insde the monitor if you want to live!

The LCD flat panel monitors are very crisp, you may find if your eyesight is a problem that they are too sharp and the fonts a little harder to read, as they have to be run at full resolution or they are also fuzzy.

Compare a new CRT and LCD in a store if you can, to see what suits.

SirKenin

Banned
It is most likely a problem with your contrast and brightness settings. Fiddle around with those until you get rid of the bluriness.

Many problems with blurred text are caused by turning the brightness and contrast too HIGH; try turning everything down to reduce the fuzziness. Though CRTs do lose focus with age, running them with the brightness and contrast turned to maximum is the WRONG thing to do...

Check these links for some good advice:

http://www.displaymate.com/top10.html

http://www.displaymate.com/tips.html

You might decide to buy an LCD anyway, but if you still want to try to use the CRT, call a local TV or monitor repair shop, and speak to a tech. Ask if you can bring the monitor in to have them check it out for you; they might agree to do it for a nominal fee. If nothing else, getting another opinion from someone who understands how to adjust monitor settings properly can give you some real peace of mind about the decisions you face.

Good luck; Happy New Year.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Since 17" monitors can be had for $50 and up on rebate deals, and you rarely will have to pay $100 for one without a rebate, I think repair is probably not warranted. If the monitor is really 5-6 years old, putting any money into repairs is probably a big mistake.

SirKenin

Banned
I think you are talking about a refurbished one though, right John? I can't even buy them for that. Actually one client about a week ago asked me to price one out for them and my cost on one was almost $200, about the same as it was for a 17" TFT, which I thought was retarded.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online