Question about my new graphics card...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Boldaaf

I just got a new graphics card, ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP, I haven't yet tried to play any games, but the fan is pretty loud, almost like it's overworking. I also got a new 450w power supply with it, Antec Smartpower 2.0, just wondering if this is normal, or if I can do something about it.

Boldaaf said:
I just got a new graphics card, ATI Radeon X1650 Pro AGP... the fan is pretty loud...
Having worked in the PC industry for 10+ years, the crappy fans that are installed on (all but the highest end) video cards are one of my biggest pet peeves. Your experience is not unusual. The fan will fail at some point (like any mechanical device), but it will probably be 2 or 3 weeks past your warranty period if you're as lucky as I am.

On many Nvidia-based cards, you can tweak the speed with a third-party software utility. (Perhaps another poster can remind us of the name?)

Not sure if there's anything you can do with your ATI-based card, other than purchasing an aftermarket cooler or buying a more expensive "silent" video card with a huge heatsink rather than the "tiny heatsink + crazy-fast little fan" solution that every card maker seems to use.

A. Woolf

If this helped you, please take the time to rate the value of this post:
http://rate.affero.net/awoolf/

That is crazy. My fans on my cards are loud until the drivers load on boot. Then they chill out until I stress them. You can slow the fan with ATItool or rivatuner if your card supports fan monitoring but I would not suggest it. I figure the fan is humming along for a reason.

What are your case temperatures like? Do you have good airflow?

Skivvywaver said:
My fans on my cards are loud until the drivers load on boot.
Skivvywaver: What type/brand/age of card do you have? My newest cards are 6600-GT vintage.

Boldaaf: With the fans being speed-controllable via software and many cards having temperature sensors on-board, there's no reason the card and drivers shouldn't be able to control the fan speed (and noise) on-demand as Skivvywaver described. I've just personally not seen it.

A. Woolf

I would not say ATI built cards are not high end, They put decent fans on their cards. (if anything they are the high end card for ATI chipset cards) If the video card is loud then you may need to look into case cooling.
Check here
http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/531492-guide-building-your-own-system.html
Scroll down to 5th post and at the bottom check out case cooling and the links.
(good Reading, would not hurt to read what everybody posted)

Boldaaf

My fans on my cards are loud until the drivers load on boot. Then they chill out until I stress them.
My last card was like that (nVidia 5700 VE). I'm not to sure what a good case teperature is, so if you could give some insight on that... And I think my airflow is good, I;ve never had problems with anything before.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
I use a Zalman VF700 cooler on my ATI AIW 9800 Pro, and it is connected to a fan speed controller along with my other fans. I can't hear anything.

Boldaaf

Ok, after reading those articles I think I might have a solution, because I'm sure I have a bad airflow. Ok, in the top left corner of my case is the PS and an outgoing fan, the processer is in about the middle of the case the motherboard fills the bottom left, disk drives and stuff fill the top right and down in the bottom right is an empy space, I was thinking I could put a fan in that corner coming out of the side of the case and blowing air inwards going by the hard drive, over the motherboard and up to the opposite corner where the outgoing fans are, think this'll work? After I get a better airflow I'll work on the speed controls.
What are your case temperatures like?
When I just opened my case I found it a bit warmer than usual.

EDIT: The processers in the middle to the left near one of the fans.

That is the ideal, one fan blowing in from the front and one blowing out in the rear. Do that and you should have adequate case cooling.

awoolf said:
Skivvywaver: What type/brand/age of card do you have? My newest cards are 6600-GT vintage.

Boldaaf: With the fans being speed-controllable via software and many cards having temperature sensors on-board, there's no reason the card and drivers shouldn't be able to control the fan speed (and noise) on-demand as Skivvywaver described. I've just personally not seen it.

A. Woolf
I am running x1800xt crossfired. 1 gig of video memory and two monster cards and fans. On boot, it sounds like a hair dryer. Once the drivers kick in, it isn't much to listen to. Pretty quiet really.

Boldaaf

I was looking in my case, planning how I'm going to put this new fan in, and I started looking around and found that I don't have an extra 3-pin plug for an additional fan. Could I make a splitter for one of the fans in there already or would that seriously affect the work of the other fan? Or is there something I could get that would give me some extra plugs? Basically, what are my options?

Well yes you could make a splitter, just make sure you do it correct and leave no bare wires,
There are connectors you can buy
Something like this.
http://www.xpcgear.com/uv4to3rpmblue.html (probably the best way to go)
Or depending on your motherboard you may have case fan connections on the motherboard. you would need to download the manual to find out this info.

I always get the fans with both connectors , two and three pin and then I can put them either on the motherboard if there is a connector OR hook them up to the psu.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online