1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question: about new IE 8 / Chroome and firefox ...

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by etch, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etch

etch Thread Starter

do the three browsers listed above support IE 6 and old versions of firefox ? i mean when u display a page content on a Choorme or IE 8 , do they look the same on IE 6 / 7 ? coz i have some pages that show on my PC (win win xp and IE 6) with a view , that looks very different on my laptop (vista / IE 8 ) ... and do google chroome do the same like IE 8 with pages ??

2. MMJ

MMJ Guest

No, no, & no.

IE8 is much more standards-compliant than IE6 and Chrome uses WebKit for its rendering which is also very standards-compliant.

3. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Well to answer your question if the page content is displayed the same. The latest versions of IE, FF, and Chrome are more "Dynamic" and display the same content but based on the width of your screen some website have particular validation to redirect a guest to an appropriate page based on their width of their screen.

To answer your second question, I have heard from a few reliable friends that Google Chrome is a "lite" version of IE8. There are a couple of reviews on this issue at ZDNET.com

4. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

I would recommed upgrading your current version of IE or FF because the previous versions of these two browsers are know to have problems with new Dynamic Web 2.0 websites.

5. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Both of these posts are pretty much 100% incorrect. (n)

6. MMJ

MMJ Guest

The OP's question:

Width has nothing to do with how the content is rendered in different browsers.

Dynamic also doesn't really mean anything in this context, its just a marketing word.

That statement is so wrong I can't even begin to tell you how wrong it is.

Chrome HAS NOTHING to do with IE, version 8 or not.

It is a completely different thing with a different rendering engine, javascript engine, and UI.

WTH is "Dynamic Web 2.0"??

This post is also a bit off-topic, and incorrect.

IE 7 isn't THAT much better than IE6 its just that its hard to support both because each have their own quirks.

Also the difference between the FF 2.0 rendering engine (Gecko 1.8) and FF 3 rendering engine (gecko 1.9) isn't that dramatic, its quite easy to support both.

7. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

Ok. Since MMJ, is a little more "in-tune" with this topic I will stand down on giving advice for this topic, but it does sound like MMJ has a bit of an attitude.

What ever, you do what you can do to help?

-Thanks

8. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Don't take it personally, everyone is a bit misinformed. :)

Just trying to clear things up a bit.

9. support.clpafs

support.clpafs

That's ok. Just thought you were one of those jerks.
    You know the ones who think they know everything. Sorry.

10. skyhigh007

skyhigh007

Why is it the website appears on FF3 on my Vista is different than FF3 on my XP ?

11. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

Hey man, you're talking about ME, not MMJ!!!!!! :p

j/k

Hard to say without seeing the differences or knowing the nature of the differences.

Peace...

12. etch

etch Thread Starter

thanks guys for making it clear for me ! ,,, all i understood here is i should upgrade my current IE 6 to a better version (7 or 8 ) right ?

13. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I vote for upgrading to Firefox 3, Opera, 9.5 or some other browser that uses a Gecko or WebKit rendering engine.

Peace...

14. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    Don't forget though that there are quite a few of your site visitors that will be on IE6. So make sure you keep it around for testing.

15. etch

etch Thread Starter

ok then , i got it clear now ,,, thank you guys for ur support , u really helped me alot :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice