1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about new version of free ZoneAlarm - Loopback adapter???

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by bloomcounty, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bloomcounty

bloomcounty Thread Starter

Hi,

I just installed the new version of ZoneAlarm (6.0.667.000). I had the previous version, then I downloaded this new version and chose to do a fresh install (as it said that was the most stable way to do it). It did not say I needed to unintall the old version first. I have Windows 98SE and also use the free AVG.

Question:
    Under Firewall - Zones: There are two things listed. The first is a "PPP Adapter" which lists an IP address (that changes each time I dial-up), Entry Type is "Adapter Subnet", and Zone is "Internet". I remember this being there with the older version of ZoneAlarm and believe it's supposed to be there.

However, there is now a second/new entry listed.

Name: Loopback adapter
    IP Address/Site: 127.0.0.1
    Entry Type: IP Address
    Zone: Trusted

...however, I do have my security for the trusted zones set to high
    just to be safe (as I do with the internet zone).

I tried looking this up in the ZoneAlarm help, and it talks about "VPN connections" which I have no idea what that is (and as far as I know, I don't have anything like that).

So, is this supposed to be listed? If so, why? If not, do I remove it? And am I okay having the Trusted Zones security level set to High just to be safe?

Thanks for the help!

-- bloomcounty

2. winchester73

winchester73

Site 127.0.0.1 is a special IP address that points to your computer ... also referred to as the local host.

Safe.

3. bloomcounty

Okey-doke -- thanks! A few more questions:

1. But I have dial-up, so shouldn't that change each time I dial-up? It's actually the same every time... Why is that? (The "PPP Adapter" IP address listed *does* change each time I dial-up, but not this "loopback adapter" IP address.)

2. And what does this loopback adapter IP address do?

3. So, just to verify, it's okay to have my security setting for the "Trusted Zone" in ZoneAlarm set to "High" (which that "loopback IP address is listed under) even though it recommends "Medium", just to be safe? Or is having it set that way actually making it "less safe" somehow?

Thanks for the help -- looking forward to hearing back!

-- bloomcounty

4. bloomcounty

4. I also just noticed that my AVG free program can't download the daily updates anymore with the new ZoneAlarm. It tells me that it can't convert the IP address and to make sure avginet.exe is allowed to access the internet in the firewall program and/or make sure connection parameters are set properly.

However, I just tried again, and it did download the updates after two failed attempts. Then I tried again just to see what would happen, and it said the connection failed (but not in the same way it was failing the first time). Could this be just a problem the AVG website is having?

Thanks again!

5. Scarecrow521

Scarecrow521

bloom,

Let me preface my comments with the statement that I am not an Internet or IT guru. But I have managed telephone and ISP networks. So my answers are related to that background.

Typically, a loopback signifies a network state where the incoming circuit is looped back onto itself without going into any far end (customer) equipment. This normally implies a dedicated circuit, not dial up. But a VPN (Virtual Private Network) looks like a dedicated circuit. So I am guessing that this feature allows for an ISP to loopback the VPN circuit for testing. In other words, you shouldn't have to worry about it or even need it. However, if you subscribe to DSL or Cable Modem service and connect to a remote server via a VPN, it could be used for circuit testing purposes.

Just my opinion, not backed up by anyspecific facts or knowledge of the application. But I'm betting its pretty accurate.

Scarecrow521

6. samwalton

samwalton Guest

If this is what you are talking about:

The Microsoft Loopback adapter is a testing tool for a virtual network environment where network access is not available. Also, you must use the Loopback adapter if there are conflicts with a network adapter or with a network adapter driver. You can bind network clients, protocols, and other network configuration items to the Loopback adapter, and you can install the network adapter driver or network adapter later while retaining the network configuration information.

You can check out thisLink for more information about the Loopback adapter.

7. bloomcounty

Thanks, Scarecrow! So it sounds like I can just delete that entry in ZoneAlarm, right? I have dial-up, am not part of a network or anything like that.

samwalton -- I don't have the Microsoft Loopback adapter, as far as I know. That loopback entry was just automatically there in ZoneAlarm under the trusted zones. So I was just trying to figure out if I could delete it, if having it could cause any security problems, etc. Any further thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

-- bloomcounty

8. Scarecrow521

Scarecrow521

I would think you could ignore or delete it. I'll check my Zone Alarm settings tonight, just in case.

Scarecrow521

9. Scarecrow521

Scarecrow521

Mine is the older version, so that seting is not present. But I still suggest ignore or delete.

SC

10. winchester73

winchester73

I am running ZA Pro 6.0.667.000 on this box ... it has that loopback adapter in the trusted zone. It is fine.

Your Loopback Adapter (127.0.0.1), is used by your computer (and programs) for testing or debugging system problems by sending data out and receiving it back at the source (your own computer) without actually going out across a network or being physically connected to one ... it should be in the Trusted Zone.

The first IP address will change each time you connect with your dial-up service ... that is a dynamic IP address ... cable/dsl will have a static IP address unless (1) you ask for a dynamic one or (2) you release and capture a new one. That is fine.

I have my Internet Zone setting at High and my Trusted Zone at Medium. There isn't a right or wrong answer here, other than to disable protection.

As for your issues with updating AVG, it could be their servers are overloaded and the connection doesn't work properly, or it could be that ZA is blocking the connection ... check in the Program Controls > Program window that you are allowing avginet.exe to connect ... you should see a green checkmark next to that program.

11. bloomcounty

Thanks for checking, Scarecrow!

Winchester -- So what does it mean if I have my Trusted Zone set to "high"? Am I disabling protection someway by doing that, or am I "more safe". The only thing listed in the trusted zone is that loopback adapter.

I have a question mark next to the avginet.exe, but it's listed. I just didn't have it marked with a green check because I like to know when my computer is downloading those updates before it does it. So that shouldn't make a difference, right? (Usually, it just asks me to allow it -- if all is working properly... so maybe it was the AVG site having problems?)

Looking forward to hearing back -- thanks for the help!

-- bloomcounty

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!