1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

question about newer nvidia card on older comp

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nymb09, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nymb09

nymb09 Thread Starter

i wanna move my nvidia geforce fx 5200 graphics card into my older comp and was wondering if i might run into any problems. THe specs on the older comp are Pentium III 866mhz, 4x AGP, 384 MB ram, xp pro sp2, the current graphics card is a 32mb ATI Radeon 7200. I was wondering if the nvidia card will work on a 4x AGP and if i'd have any other problems possibly caused by switching form an ati card to an nvidia card?

2. Deathblow

Deathblow

You shouldn't. Just uninstall the old card completely before installing the new one (go to the standard VGA).

3. ohgrant

ohgrant

I had a little problem when I went from ATI to nvidia on my old compaq 450 mgz system. I had to download driver cleaner to get rid of old catalyst drivers.

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

Heh, no. I've put FX5200s into older machines than that - one went into a Dell P3-450 (BX chipset, AGP 2x), for example.

5. alyssa

alyssa

This comp is a PIII 667 with 384 megs of pc 133 ram . I was running an ATI radeon 7000 ve with 32 megs of sdram . I wanted to get a card that would last into the next upgrade so I got ATI 9800 with 256 megs of ddram . the motherboard is 4x on the agp and the new card is 8x . I play Everquest on line and I use two comps and two accounts . my other comp is an athalon xp 1700 with an Invida G3 and 64 megs running and 512 megs of dd 2100. both computers now run very nicily , you wont have any trouble. . once you get the drivers straightend out .

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/294504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice