question about P4 3.2ghz temp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nymb09

i just built a new computer with a pentium 4 640 3.2ghz processor and it constantly runs at aobout 50C and when i play some games itll get up to a steady 68C, for a processor fan im using a zalman 7700cu on the highest setting but the casefan is so loud that i had to unplug it. i know im going to buy one or two more fans soon but i was just wondering if its dangerous to keep using the computer at these temps. also, someone told me that the 6xx intel models have some sort of heat resistance feature that makes it very hard to overheat, can anyone confirm this?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm going to assume this is the Prescott core device. If so, they run hot, but I don't like to see them get much over 65C. While the P4 processors do indeed have very good internal thermal limiting, running that hot is detrimental to their health in the long run. Unplugging the case fan also seems like a bad idea, and probably part of your problem.

Over 60 degrees c?!? far too high mate, try to get that temp way down. New cpu fan and some decent thermal paste might help.

Personally I don't think a new cpu fan would help, the zalman is a good fan as it is. Like JohnWill says, a case fan would be a good idea, I find an exhaust at the top-rear had more effect than an intake fan. If you are concerned about noise then there are some very quiet case fans around for not much money.

Also, make sure you only use a very thin layer of thermal paste (on my first self-built I pasted the stuff on, not a good idea)

will182

Banned
hey i have 4 case fans and i use the intel stock heatsink,fan,thermal pad, and my processor is only a pentium 4 3.0ghz prescott and runs at 53.5c at normal and then on games rises to about 65 to 67, wil this just be becouse i am using a crap cpu fan,heatsink, and a thermal pad.
technicly i have 5 case fans

is the motherboard bios reading accurate? I just built up a P4 prescott 3.0ghz, retail package heatsink/fan combo. The case is one of those with a tunnel down to the fan. graphinc card has a fan, one extra case box fan.. any my MB's bios clocks in at ~42c just poking around, ~55-60c on games (however I'm not playing anything really new game wise just yet)

Are there any generic software apps that will look at CPU temp, fan speed, etc.? I do have to back into the bios to check temps, maybe thats enough time to cool things down? I do have mildly low ambiant temps too.. maybe that also explains the lower reading that you folks.

The MB is a gigabyte ga-8s661something. I'm beginning to think I don't like it and may chuck in the near future, but thats what I have for now.

P.S.

"Also, make sure you only use a very thin layer of thermal paste"

This is very correct. The only thing you really want thermal paste to do is fill in the tiny imprefections in the mating surfaces. Paste is a better thermal conductor than air, but not as good as metal to metal/ceramic.

will182

Banned
i think somthing may be wrong with my motherboard, becouse the cpu is too hot and this is the second cpu this has happend to and the random shutdowns when playing on games or just surfing the net must mean the motherboard when everyhitng else in my computer has bieng replaced, it must be dfi, there crap, my computer shutd off when ever i change any settings like softpatch in bios.

i think i need a good asus board

My first instinct was to go with an Asus board. I haven't upgraded in years, my old machine was a slot A Intel P3-450, Asus P3BF and still is completely stable, although the cmos battery needs replaced.

I went with the Gigabyte cause I impulsed.. I hadn't upgraded in years, got the itch, and when I got the money, instead of doing what I wanted mail order I went to the local retail chop shop. The only board I could afford with the processer I wanted at that store was the Gigabyte. What I wanted and think I'll end up buying is the ASUS P5P800S

will182

Banned
i want to know if loads of people with the same board as me has problems with there computer shutting down

I dunno about that. IMO if that MB was prone to that problem I'd suspect others would have already said something. However the nature of problems like that are hard to pin down. A friend of mine finally pinned down a problem to her surge protector, she was killing PS's and fans, the CPU was hot, case was very warm, etc. Apparently there was a brown out/spike sometime in the past and thankfully the surge protector took the spike, but after, it wasn't delivering full 110VAC to the computer.. new surge protector, and the problems are gone.

It would be nice to have a resource to log unusual failures on products though, at least to track for any trends.

I honestly wouldn't know. I know almost nothing about modern computer architecture. I know a bit about analog electronics, power supplies, heat transfer, mostly audio stuff.. I would certainly suspect anything discolored.

this is your 2nd cpu? first one failed due to heat? Is the case cramped and cluttered? Check your line voltage at the outlet with a multimeter (Be careful!) . Are you getting at least 110VAC? check it again after the surge suppressor..

If it were me and I was running that hot, everything else obvious taken care of (known good PS, proper cooling, known good power to the box, cables are nice and tight and not getting in the way of air flow), and on my second cpu, I'd change the MB if I could afford to.

the 2nd HDD, the 20gig, do you need it? Chuck it if you can. Its extra heat. FYI, IDE's main problem is bandwidth across the buss, adding a 2nd drive to an IDE cable can cause minor slow downs, (cable phase reflections, and impedance are important to IDE) thats one of the reasons SATA is coming into fad.

will182

Banned
no no i dont think my celeron d 2.8ghz had failed, its sitting on a shelf right now beocuse i dont have a motherboard for it.

yea also i want a sata hdd, i see i can pick a 169 gig sata hdd up for about £40 no on places like ebuyer, i am considering gettind a sata hdd but i just blown £18 on a headset :p

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online