1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Question about Pagefiles

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nioin3k, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nioin3k

nioin3k Thread Starter

I don't know much about pagefiles, so I have a few questions to see if I'm doing things right.

I have two harddrives, one 150gb 10000 and one 250gb 7200. I set up 3 partitions on my 150gb:
    1. 40 gb for os/pagefile(pagefile 6gb)
    2. 20 gb for applications
    3. 90 for games and whatnot

for my 250:
    1.6 for pagefile
    2.25 for music
    3. 119 for downloads

Do I need a pagefile on each harddrive? Is 6gb min/max pagefile size good for 2gb memory? Do I only need one pagefile per harddrive that has partitions?

Thanks in advanced, sorry for stupid questions.

Edit: Forgot to mention Windows XP Home Edition, SP2 is my OS.
    Happy to answer any questions I can!

2. drumster

drumster

A pagefile is usually required for the drive contains your OS and basically does all the running for your processes. A page-file, in very crude terms, can be considered to be an addition to your RAM, also known as virtual RAM. So you can change the Page-size according to your requirements and your currently available RAM. Generally, you should leave it to "System Managed Page File" size, unless your system is getting overloaded or running very slow.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

No . . you only need one page file . . conventional wisdom is to set the minimum at 1.5 times your physical RAM and the Maximum at twice that.

What is your thinking behind putting Applications on a different partition from the Operating System ?

4. drumster

drumster

I agree. 1.5 and 2 are the correct limits. But I think he has done a good thing by putting applications on a different drive. because the drive containing the operating system, ideally should never be more than 50% full for optimum performance. The day the application installs go beyond a certain amount, he would anyways have to shift it to another drive. Even I follow the same system.

5. nioin3k

nioin3k Thread Starter

So having 6gb/6gb would be a bad idea? A few gb of space is no issue for me, as long as it performs well.

[​IMG]

6. bbearren

bbearren

Ideally the pagefile should be on its own dedicated partition, with no other applications or files. Also, there is no good reason to have a variable-sized pagefile. A permanent sized pagefile (my preference is 3GB, regardless of amount of installed RAM) on a dedicated partition will not fragment, which is another slight boost in performance.

7. bbearren

bbearren

If you put it on a dedicated partition, (preferably on the high-speed drive) you'll have a good setup.

8. nioin3k

nioin3k Thread Starter

ok sounds good, I have to tweak a few things in terms of exactly how big I want some of the partitions to be, for example 40gb for os/antivirus and whatnot is probably too big

otherwise I think I have the idea :)

9. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Out of curiousity, what applications are you running on this 2GB box.

With that amount of installed ram, odds are high that there will be no paging going on anyways, and thus no need to do anything, other than leave it as System Managed.

The pagefile was something that needed to be "tweaked" in Win95/98 on memory constrained systems. XP does a fine job of managing it, and on the large systems these days, is seldom anything to be concerned with.

10. nioin3k

nioin3k Thread Starter

2gb? i think one of us typed wrong or something

Edit: Oh, 2gb ram. Well, I use Adobe Photoshop, Acrobat, Nero, play a lot of games, some sound editing programs, probably some video editing from time to time. Mostly internet browsing and game play. Also some school work.

11. WhitPhil

Your first post said "pagefile size good for 2gb memory?"

12. nioin3k

nioin3k Thread Starter

Yeah sorry, I'm slow today. I edited the post, brb.

13. bbearren

bbearren

1. Windows will use a pagefile, regardless of installed RAM.
    2. Windows "managing" a pagefile uses system resources, hard drive reads and writes. A permanent sized pagefile is more efficient.
    3. A permanent sized pagefile on a dedicated partition on the fastest drive guarantees the maximum efficiency and no fragmentation of the pagefile.

14. nioin3k

nioin3k Thread Starter

yeah what he said.

right now i'm setting up like this:

150gb 10000rpm
    20gb-os
    20gb-applications
    104gb-games/misc
    6gb-pagefile

250gb 7200rpm
    30gb-music
    220gb-misc

15. WhitPhil

1. True. The file may be "in-use" which does not imply any paging is actually happening
    2. Unless the system is memory constrained, the initial setting for the page file will be large enough that there will be little to no growing and shrinking of the file. (again, something that was a major issue on Win95 and early Win98 and really not a concern on XP). Regardless, this "housekeeping" occurs during idle time and shouldn't impact active apps.
    And, the term "system managed" really doesn't mean that XP is continually out there, doing something to maintain it.
    3. If it is seldom used, setting aside a dedicated partition achieves nothing. And, since the pagefile is read differently than a traditional file, fragmentation really has little affect, if the file is actually used.
    But, you are right, if you wish to "guarantee" maximum efficiency, when and if it is used, place it on a fast drive.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541112

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice